Thread: Christmas Tree Farm

Christmas Tree Farm

I'm considering starting a Christmas tree farm on our 11 acres for my 3 year old daughter and myself to grow for her teen-age years. The goal is not to become a millionaire at it but only to teach her the value of hard work , being outdoors and driving a tractor. Can anyone suggest where to start?? What type of soil is best, space required, tax benefits, etc? <font color="blue"> </font color>

Re: Christmas Tree Farm

The best start would be your local county extension office. They may know the local county requirements for agriculture exemption. In my county, you need 5 acres of trees to qualify. Get a soil analysis test kit too. Once you know the pH and type of soil you have, then you can adjust to what will work best for your property. Depending on where you live, you may need to add lime or something to get the soil ready for your trees.

When planting your trees, make sure you leave enough space so you can drive your tractor down the rows. Have a plan to identify diseases or insect problems too. Don't forget to think about irrigation, and whether you will need it. Of course, this depends on where you live.

Good luck,

Joe

Don't forget the deer fencing all around the place.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

where are you located?

I have about 6 acres in Christmas trees now, and my father-in-law has probably close to 500 acres in trees spread over several farms in MD and PA.

I can tell you alot about my experiences running a small tree farm!

do you have specific questions i can possibly answer?

let me know
    -mark-

mathey.
    im also interested in christmas tree farming as some extra income.. is there any how to or christmas tree farming 101 ?