Thread: Help with erosion damage

Help with erosion damage

I recently purchased a house with 5 acres of hilly land that is laid out like a large ravine coming off a ridge top. The hills have two run-off ditches that feed into a man made pond at the bottom.

My problem is that the hill behind my house suffered from errosion damage during the construction of the house and was never fixed. Now there is grass and weeds on the hillside that has stoped the errosion but the ground is very bumpy with some deep ruts which makes it a bit difficult and a bit unsafe to cut the grass on a tractor.

My question is what is the best way to solve this problem. Can I just buy enough dirt to fill in the ruts? Or do I need to bring in lot's of dirt and regrade the entire slope? Regardless of the method, What is the best way to keep the new soil from washing away until grass can be grown?

Thanks for any help.

Re: Help with erosion damage

There was some talk on TBN forum about a straw based mat that they laid down while seeding a steep bank. You could do a search and pull it up. The reports said it worked great.