Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy bulk herbicide

Where to buy bulk herbicide

We own 26 acres, with a 1/2 mile road that almost disappeared under the grasses last year. We need to spray the road with a pre-emergent to avoid that this year, and have a 25 gallon ATV sprayer. But I haven't been able to find anywhere to buy herbicides in bulk. The containers available at local Home Depot, etc. are just for small applications, so are not very concentrated.

Re: Where to buy bulk herbicide

Find your local farm supply store, Tractor Supply, etc.

They will have concentrated generic round-up ( glyphosphate I think it is ) that you can dilute and use in your ATV sprayer to keep the road grass and weed free.

There's a lot of farming/agriculture in this area and we have a couple of local chemical companies that cater to commercial users. I've found that their prices are generally cheaper in addition to having knowledgeable employees to help with advise on what/how to use some of the products.

Online. Search.

And don't pay for name brands. Glyphosphate is glyphosphate whether the label says "Monsanto" or not.

That would be good, since I'm pretty new at this. Of course, we currently live in Los Angeles (no agriculture at all).... our new property is in Central California, where there's lots of agriculture - I just don't know the area yet. But the online yellow pages show several companies that look like chemical companies (i.e. with a name like 'Chemland'). I'll try those.

Yep - I recently read that the patent on Roundup expired, so there are lots of 'generic' brands. Does anyone have any suggestions for a pre-emergent? Last year, I had to spray no fewer than 5 times, because the weeds all came up at different times. I'd like to spray the road once and be done with it.

Roundup (glysophate) does a fine job killing plants. It doesn't prevent things from growing. There are some mixtures that will both kill and prevent, but they are not (as far as I know) available to the general public.

I have weeds in my driveway all the time and I spray often. I haven't found anything that seems like it will prevent germination at the home stores. I'm trying to hit up the neighbor that has a nursury and can get the "good stuff". He certainly doesn't have unwanted weeds... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

If you really want some sterile ground use salt. It will last for years.

Egon

If you really want some sterile ground use salt. It will last for years.

Egon

Do they still make Triox? Used to use that along fence rows. Nothing would germinate for several years.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?