Thread: 220v baseboard / multiple units to be wired

220v baseboard / multiple units to be wired

I thought I had the knowledge from experience in home projects, but this one has me just a little confused.
    I have 5 seperate 36" long baseboard units to wire up to a double line break (220v line voltage) Mears M602 thermostat.
    Reason for such short units is that there are many 110v outlets in this 14x25 enclosed sunroom and everything I read indicated, do not install below them.
    SO....I have a 10/2, 220volt line with (2) 20 amp breakers coming from the svc. panel. I installed the thermostat in wall and ran seperate 10/2 lines thru wall. Someone said "Make sure you wire these units in parallel and thats where I have a little issue.
    The baseboard units are 750watts each x 5 units for a total wattage of 3750. (very near max. wattage for the run)
    My assumption is this for hooking them up and I would really appreciate your opinion in either confirming or discrediting my thoughts on hooking up.
    Here goes: I run L1 and L2 from supply to 2 red wires on the thermostat. I come off the thermostat with two black wires and start the following by connecting those 2 black wires to the left side of 1st baseboard containing two black load wires. One goes into element and other goes to right side of heater.
    I then bring in 2 black wires from 2nd units left side and wire them to 1st units right side (2) black wires.
    Continue like this to the fifth unit. I am left with 2 black wires.
    The thermostat diagram shows that my supply (L1 & L2) (from svc. panel) should go to two red leads on the thermostat and the two black wires off the other side of thermostat go to heater load.
    As you can see from all that info above, I have not completed a loop back.
    Do I leave the 5th units right side 2 black wires capped and have I just wired this thing in series instead of parallel.
    Chuck

Re: 220v baseboard / multiple units to be wired

Welcome to Country by Net! Lot's of great folks here.

I've read your post several times and I'm not clear on your description of the heaters.

How many wires on each heater? Two? You state:
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    One goes into element and other goes to right side of heater.
    I then bring in 2 black wires from 2nd units left side and wire them to 1st units right side (2) black wires.
    Continue like this to the fifth unit. I am left with 2 black wires.

[/ QUOTE ]

To me it reads like there are four, or maybe three, black wires on each heater. Two on the left and two on the right. I may be badly misunderstanding your posting.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Open the left side panel of a baseboard unit and from the factory there are (2) black wires already capped together.
    Uncap them and one goes into the element and the other loose black goes to the other side of the heater and is capped to another black wire that goes into the heater element. There is also a red wire already connected to the element and goes to a safty switch. You will see this distinctly If you have a chance to visit this URL http://www.shopfnc.com/2500wiring.pdf
    It will show you some of the wiring diagrams. Bare in mind that just after step 6 there is a note that steps 7-9 are for REMOTE MOUNTED THERMOSTATS ONLY and that is the direction I am going here.
    Skip steps 10-15 because they are for wiring to the internal thermostats that are not included with each of the units I have anyway.
    Thanks for your prompt reply, really appreciate the time you are offering.
    Charlie

I looked at the URL you posted and now have a better understanding of the situation. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Don't forget that for heaters you can only use 80% of the rated load for the wire size.

You need to make your connections at one end or the other on each heater. You don't use both ends on any one heater!

There may be a way to use both ends, but their diagrams don't show it. For myself, I'd follow their diagram unless you hear from Inspector 507.

You'll need to run a wire from one heater to the next. Either in the wall or perhaps behind the baseboard. Just follow their diagram with the possible exception being that your feed from the thermostat may not be black and white as shown in their diagram. You mention that you have two blacks coming from the thermostat, and that's OK. Your cable may have black and red.

Hope this helps some.
    Gary

Gary,
    Thanks for checking out that URL I gave you.
    You state that "I need to make your connections at ONE END or the other on ea. heater. You don't use both ends on any one heater. Then you say to run a wire from one heater to the next.
    If you review that URL http://www.shopfnc.com/2500wiring.pdf
    after step 15 it gives instructions for wiring multiple heaters to a single thermostat and the last pg. after that indicates a basic wire hookup for second heater unit. So in essence, I will be using the wires off the other end of each unit I believe.
    I think I have a good idea of where to go with this and thanks to your input it has defined it and addressed some issues I had.
    Thanks much

I looked at the last page of the PDF file. They are showing two wiring diagrams. One is for use if your supply line is on the LEFT end of the heater, the other is for use if your supply line is on the RIGHT side of the heater. Assume that your supply is on the LEFT side. Without running more wires of your own from the left side to the right side, you'll end up with the heaters in series, not parallel. If you study the diagram, you can see that the supply line is hooked to both the heater and the line running to the next heater. The supply line is not available on the right side in this case.

Why don't you fill in more details on your profile. Could be that one of our members is a neighbor. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary