Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better ways to do plumbing

Better ways to do plumbing

My plumbing supply people told me about a new way to connect copper, PVC, PEX. It's a coupling device called a "Sharbite" connector. See http://search.hp.netscape.com/hp/boo...tefittings.asp

I am thrilled at the thought of no glue, better flexilibility much faster installation.

Re: Better ways to do plumbing

Here's a much shorter URL via tinyurl.com

http://tinyurl.com/bmu4e
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

It looks like a great idea, but wow are they pricey. I couldn't justify the expense personally unless I won the lottery before replumbing the house...and in that case I would just buy a bigger house and pay someone to do my plumbing for me, heck I would have an onsite handyman living in a shed out back just for that sort of thing.
    [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I had to modify some of my plumbing this year. It is done in PEX and the PEX tools are expensive. So instead of hiring a plumber I bought 3 sharkbite fittings and got the job done myself. They are very simple to use.

I can't imaging doing the whole house this way but for quick repairs/modifications its great! I think I am going to buy a few more as I need to modify some copper plumbing that runs very close to a number of electrial wires...so instead of risking getting them caught on fire I'll just use these new fittings.

What is the deal with you guys and TinyURL. Use what is built into the site. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Sharkbite

I use Tinyurl on other message boards. So it's a habit. Sorry if it doesn't please you. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    Gary

Sorry about coming across so harsh. [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] It is just there was another subject that someone had recommended the same thing. Just doesn't seem quite right to keep referring people to another website when this one has the tools already built into it. What if tinyurl goes under (granted, probably not likely but you never know) then all of these links are useless. This way we aren't relying on an outside source. I guess my reasoning is because I hate dead links and who knows if tinyurl will decided to start pruning their branches. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Well, that's certainly something to consider. I'll admit that until you mentioned it, I didn't realize that we had a tool for "shrinking" URLs on the site. After you mentioned it I looked and sure enough. Guess I go through life half asleep! [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]

I do know that the font color tool gave me some fits when I first tried it out.

And no offense taken at your "harshness". [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] We pretty much have a great bunch of folks here. We shouldn't be too quick to take offense. A problem with message boards is that we can't see a persons expression or hear their tone of voice. So it's sometimes hard to tell a poster's real meaning.
    Gary

[img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Sharkbite Smarklight! What ever happened to a torch, some solder, and sweat copper fittings? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] I look at the new pemex or whatever the name is and I find myself thinking ahead FIFTY YEARS and wondering how it will be holding pressure by then. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

I look at the new pemex or whatever the name is and I find myself thinking ahead FIFTY YEARS and wondering how it will be holding pressure by then.

Probably better than the sweated copper fittings...