Thread: Puzzling problem, need ideas!!!

Puzzling problem, need ideas!!!

I bought an old house that had been a forclosure, so I know little about it, except what I can see. It is 2 bedrooms and 1 bath, about 40 years old. I could see it needed a new roof and gutting inside and replacing all the interior. I do this once a year or so as part of the way I make a living. I replaced the shingles, then ripped out the carpeting and vinyl flooring in the kitchen and diningroom. It has a full basement that the previous owners had finished very poorly, so I ripped all the walls and carpet from the basement. It is raining here finially, so I spent the day yesterday cleaning out the basement. I left the doors open to air out as these folks must have sit in the house and smoked 24 hours a day. When I came up to get some lunch I noticed a wet spot on the floor in the livingroom floor. My first thought was my roofing leaked, but on checking that wasn't the problem. I checked everywhere and there is no dripping and it wasn't from water blowing in. there is no plumbing near it, you will have to trust me when I say it isn't from any outside source, cause I spent an hour checking everything. When I pulled up the carpet and padding, I noticed there was a stain on the underlayment from something and it smells somewhat like urine so they probabally had a dog. The carpet padding was stuck to the underlayment at the stains and when I scraped the padding up with a spade it left some dusty residue on those spots.
    I'm trying to determine if the dusty padding/ dog urine residue could somehow draw moisture from the air and make a damp spot, or am I going nuts, or what.
    The spots that were damp were the same spots that were stained, and they are in the area of the highest traffic in the house and are only under places that had carpet. The areas that had vinyl flooring are on the same substrate and were closer to the open doors show no signs of dampness.
    Anybody got any ideas?
    Later, Nat

Re: Puzzling problem, need ideas!!!

All old carpet in houses smells like urine in my experience.... [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I've never seen that exact problem before but I would probably just monitor the situtation and see if anything develops.

High salt content will draw moisture from the air, similiar to the way calcium chloride is used on dirt roads to draw moisture to keep dust down. Dried urine will contain salts. This will not stop until the salts are dissolved in water and rinsed away.

This fact will not prove you are not nuts. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    am I going nuts, or what.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the club... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] You'll be getting your new member pack in the mail soon.

It's possible that the sense of dampness you felt was a fig newton of you magicnation. Think about it... It's raining outside.....you come in and see spots....your first thought is the spots are wet. Now you've conditioned you brain to automatically believe this to be the case. You kneel down to touch the spot and your brain tells the sensory nerves in your fingers ...Wet...Wet...Wet. Your fingers, realizing that your brain is the higher power will respond...Yes sir, it is wet, barely but it is wet. The conflict comes when logic comes back from lunch, which is after you do, and says "Not so fast" where's the proof??? Needless to say it all goes down hill from there and here we are.

Then again, the house could be haunted and the spirit of the dog is messin with ya.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    "Wisdom isn't free, though your only price is to pay attention"

John, I believe you have it, My brain is the problem.

Urea, one of the things in urine, is fairly hygroscopic.

Chuck

I still havn't figured out what it is on the floor, but Kilz took 2 coats to cover the stain, now no smell. I have redone the whole house. New paint,redone 2 walls, rewired, plumbing repaired, new cabinets in kit, and the carpet and vinyl will be installed on Mon. It will be for sale next week, going to make a nice little starter home for someone.Later, Nat

Nat, If you get into a situtaion where you have odors of "biologic" origin but Kilz isn't a good answer then there are enzyme based products that disolve in warm water and are safe on your skin as well as any surface that is safe with warm water. My favorite was Odor Mute. It can kill skunk odor, dog or cat urine smell, and things of that nature.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"