Thread: Julia Child

Julia Child

I'm guessing that a Julia Child comment might go unpunished in the Cooking Forum under the "& MOre" part of the banner.

I was recently surprised to read that Julia Child, yes THAT Julia Child AKA "The French Chef" of television fame had been an OSS employee in China (Secretary to a relatively high level officer.) OSS, for the historically challenged, was the precursor organization of the CIA involved in secret intel ops behind the lines in nearly all theaters.

For that matter the actor Steriling Hayden and author Earnest Hemmingway were both OSS officers who had led bands of partisan gorilla fighters behind enemy lines in WW II but didn't go on to fame as chefs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Julia Child

Gorilla fighters? I guess that was before PETA.... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

(PSSST! PAT! It's "guerilla", not gorilla!)

Re: Julia Child

Blue, Thanks... I con't blame that on eny spill cheker. Pretty funny actually.

Take that Susan Sarandon!

But seriously, I was reading a book by an ex CIA dude. It was the history of the OSS, precursor to the CIA and low and behold there was the Super Gormet herself in China working with the spy guys.

Again an opinion of mine gains more credibility. I strongly believe that most everyone interesting and worth knowing was always something else before and probably yet something else before that and so forth.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"