Thread: New waterer install...maybe this weekend.

New waterer install...maybe this weekend.

I managed to get the local Orscheln's ( farm store ) to sell me a Brower Performance One waterer at the price they had it on sale for back in September when they didn't have any in stock...

http://www.browerequip.com/products/...m/perform.html

It is in the barn now while I finish some other work around the house. We are ripping out a poorly done bathroom in the basement and redoing it, major fun was discovering the shower drain didn't have a P trap under it so I had to rent a concrete saw to cut a hole in the floor to put one in...argh.

No wonder that part of the basement smelled funny a lot of the time, we have a septic system that empties into an evaporation pond, so when I had the whole house fan running, you could feel a draft coming up out of that drain...

I am looking forward to installing this, we ran to stock tank heaters, 1500 watts each last winter, so when the weather was cold they were costing us around $80 a month...each.

I am thinking of installing the waterer under a fence, with half in our corral area and half in a one acre pasture that I use for putting the cows in until they calve and other times I need to seperate the bull from the heifers, or whatever...I have seen other folks install them this way, any comments?

The instruction mentions using an 8 inch riser under the concrete pad, any suggestion on what kind of riser to use? I guess I could try and hunt up a piece of 8 inch clay drainage tile, do they make pvc pipe that big?

Re: New waterer install...maybe this weekend.

twstanley, 8 inch PVC may be harder to find but it is made. Some HD stores stock 6 inch (and some don't) but I have never seen 8 inch in stock at a big box store. You will likely need to go to a "professional" supply house not a big box store like Lowe's or Home Despot (OOPS I MEAN DEPOT.)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

<font color="blue"> Lowe's or Home Despot (OOPS I MEAN DEPOT.)
    </font color>

I thought it was "Home DEPOSIT" [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]

I try to avoid those places - especially for things like PVC. They like to do things like take the 20' lengths, chop 'em in half, and then charge 2x for them. They seem to "run out" of the 20' lengths, too, which is especially obnoxious because I usually need the longer pipe.

So I go to a local place that specializes in pipes and such. I get my small PVC in bulk at bulk prices and they also carry things like 8" pipe.

I'm just glad that there are still places like that around. For now...

I couldn't find any 8" pvc or drain pipe, finally found that our local hardware store carries 8" corrugated culvert pipe that they will sell in 5 foot lengths. The other places that had this would only sell 13 foot lengths, a bit wasteful when I only need 3 feet, at most.

Ok, I have a few pics of my install of this thing, so far I am very pleased.

Ok, this picture shows the tee and fittings I used to run water over to the base of the vertical tile starting at my existing hydrant.

This is kind of a wider view showing the hydrant on the left, the waterer going in the middle and the post with electrical box ( hidden ) on the right, we trenched over to that post and put in 1/2 inch electrical conduit and ran the wire for the heater thru it. The outlet on that post is a gfci outlet so I am confident we have a safe installation.

Ok, here we see the water pipe coming into the vertical tile which is 8 inch plastic culvert pipe. The water pipe is buried about 28 inches ( the depth of the existing hydrant ) and the vertical tile goes down about another foot below it, basically goes down as far as I could dig with the post hole digger on the tractor.

Last picture for now, I need to get one more of the finished install.

This one shows the 2x4 form and rebar with mounting bolts welded to it that I made up to put in the form. I used 4 80 pound bags of qwik crete, one thing I would do different would be to use the fast setting qwikcrete next time as the weather was about 40 degrees F and damp so it took 24 hours to get fairly hard.