Thread: Do I need reflective barrier for Radiant Heat?

Do I need reflective barrier for Radiant Heat?

I am renovating a 200 year old house and putting PEX tubing under the oak floor boards of the first floor (no sub floor). The installation is fairly easy since there is a 6 foot tall basement with dirt floor and stone walls and I am putting the tubing inbetween the joycing.

Do I need to do anything else for efficient radiant heat? Do I need an insulation or reflective barrier under the tubing between the joycing to reflect all of the heat upwards through the floor boards?

Thank you in advance for the info.

Re: Do I need reflective barrier for Radiant Heat?

YUP! Don't oversimplify the installation with thoughts of "Heat Rises" and increase your operating expenses through lowered system performance. You need an air gap below the PEX then a reflector and then insulation. Foil backed insulation installed foil up is one choice.

Check out the RPA site (Radiant Panel Association) where you can access experts in the field and get a lot of great free advice. Lots to be learned in reading their archives too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"