Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Critter trapped in the walls

Re: Critter trapped in the walls

Great story! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    - William

Bird, The similarities just keep going on and on and on and...

A couple friends came over this evening to watch "National Treasure" with Nickolas Cage and bring us some fresh home made fried pear pies. They are currently suffering the unwanted attention of a wood pecker that is making his second hole in their siding right through to the fiberglass insulation. It is about to have an accident of the .410 variety. since filling the hole only encourages it to start a new one.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

William, That coon had a system. The back of the building had been used by someone with a fume hood or dust collector or something which required a duct out of a hole in the wall. The duct was gone and the hole in the wall was just left as was. This wall was under cover by a patio roof so it did't rain in and it WAS San Diego so having a big hole in the wall was not a big deal. There was a large pipe rack under the hole. Apparently the coon jumped up and did some uneven parallel bar work to get in position to jump at the hole. Judging from the claw marks under the hole he woiuld catch the hole with his front paws and then scramble to get his backside in the hole. Once inside the wall he could go up and get on top of the drop ceiling By the looks of the scratches under the hole he had been at this for quite a while.

This was more of an encounter than we usually had with wild beasts. Mostly we had mice under the raised floors which had to be trapped to prevent their eating the computer cables.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Great stories. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] It looks like our critter has moved from his one scratching spot. My husband heard it run across the downstairs ceiling. How do they survive so long? Do they have a stash of food somewhere? Haven't seen any sign of something in the house and there is no stench so it's definitely alive. I'm still hoping it finds it's way back to the attic and leaves. We don't have baseboards or trim on the house yet but we've spray foams where the floor hits the wall on the second floor and also the spaces between the doors. This was done months ago when the bats were getting into the house from the attic and we haven't had one in the house since. Now we need to do the foam in the main floor where the wall hits the floor just in case this is a mouse that can squeeze itself down the wall and out the space near the floor. But I guess if he made it out it would be easier to catch. Maybe borrow a friend's cat. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img] It's always a problem solving adventure in the country. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Maybe you don't have a critter trapped. Maybe the house is just haunted. My parents bought a big old 2-story house in '56 that was surrounded by big pecan trees. At night, we could sometimes hear what sounded like a small animal scampering around in the attic; other times it sounded like a man's footsteps. And in 9 years we never found the source of the sound; no place for squirrels or other small animals to get into the attic, no tree limbs close enough to ever touch the house. After awhile we just got used to the sounds and ignored them. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

It's funny because of the house being 140 yrs old, my husband and daughter used to joke about it being haunted because they kept losing things that they insisted they put right there but it ended up that they are just really bad about putting things back where they found them. [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] Definitely feel it's of this world. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

That coon sounds like it was a real character... don't doubt it at all though. I only learned last year (after having lost numerous chickens in NC) that coons kill more chickens than foxs do... [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    - William

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    it ended up that they are just really bad about putting things back where they found them

[/ QUOTE ]

No, no, I think your husband and daughter were right; personal experience . . . I've had gremlinss swipe or move stuff around in my shop lots of times. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> I've had gremlinss swipe or move stuff around in my shop lots of times. </font color>

Me, too. I'm pretty sure they are related to the critters that either steal all of my clothes hangers - except for the times that they bring extras. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]

I'd just like to get ahold of that spare sock GREMLIN for several seconds. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon