Thread: Pole barn

Pole barn

I have a question or two on a pole barn I'm about to build.

I've seen a few pole barns and they all seem to use double 2x6 pressure treated bottom skirting boards, Why is this?

Before I have the floor poured, do I bring the sub-floor 4" below
    the bottom skirting board, so the concrete is at the joint where the two
    skirting boards meet?

When I erect my trusses and install my roof purlins, should I install the purlins face down on the trusses or place them on edge?

Do I need to stagger the roof purlins, since the longest 2x4 purling will be 16ft and the pole barn is 32 foot?

Thanks.

Re: Pole barn

I'll provide a little input. My pole barn is now about 80% complete.

I can't provide too much help with the skirting/flooring except to say there are numerous different ways to work this. If you could provide some pictures I may be able to provide a little extra help on this.

I've always placed purlins face down. Additionally, I use 1X6 purlins as opposed to 2X4. However, depending on how far apart you have spaced your trusses you may need the extra strength of 2X4... and I can't see how it would hurt to space them... The purlins to start to really tie the barn all together. If your barn is at all wiggly when putting on the trusses you will definitely notice a more solid feel as you start attaching the purlins.

Good luck with your project!
    - William

Well, after much delay, I finally broke ground and started putting up my pole building.

Pictures can be seen at the link below, yahoo photo albums:

Maybe it's just my computer but I was unable to bring the photos up. Would love to see the start of your barn!
    - William

William, You are not alone brother.

Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

The pictures work fine for me; maybe because computers feel sorry for me since I know so little about them. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Me too, now... go figure...

Bird, don't lworry about computers, they are just a passing fad.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Let me try this again.

Pictures of the start of my pole barn can be seen at the following:

Pole Barn

Hows the barn doing? I am doing the same thing in a 28x36 size. What did you use for your poles? I went with 4x6 corners and 4x4 centers. Here in tn the requirement is only 6" into the earth(because of the rocky formation) However I went 28" to 36" deep. I am now nearing the point where I have to consider the mud board for the foundation. Did you get the answer to your question? If so what was it? Also how square was you able to keep your layout? Just curious.
    Thanks

Re: purlins

Most builders around me place them down. However, I used to deliver materials for a builder that placed them on edge exclusively. And, that builder had around ten crews on and has been in business several years. Go figure.

I don't recall if they staggered the purlins. I think it would be a good idea else you are liable to get a gully or a bump.

They used single skirt boards. I am thinking that using double skirts would be beneficial for a straight wall. If the concrete pushed the lower board, the upper would not be affected.