Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pole Barn...or House??

Re: Pole Barn...or House??

We were so happy with the log siding and the fact that we were able to buy it direct from the planeing mill we opted to use it in the living room.

We had decided long ago that we wanted a wood stove in the house, so a stone wall was a natural...for this I brought in an expert.

And of course we needed to find the right wood stove.

My wife is a wood carver and needed her own carving room.

With the inside about 95% complete, I am now working on building an 88' wrap around porch.

I lived in the Buffalo - Niagara Falls, NY area for 54 years and never had a home as weathertite, insulated and efficient as this one. All the exterior walls are 8" think with 7 1/2" of insulation. I just finished blowing in 13" of cellulose insulation in the attic. The house is 1500 sq ft (30x50) and the wood stove has kept us 'toasty warm' through the 15 degree nights this past week. Even though we have a 2.5 ton heat pump installed, it has not kicked on since I finished the insulation.

Looks very nice. An elegant solution to the price increases. And welcome to County by Net. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

As you probably know, this is an oft repeated story. I personally do not know anyone who built living quarters in their shop/barn/whatever as a prelude to building a house who has ever built the house. They are all living in the original quarters. Of course my circle of acquaintances limits this to only 4 examples. It could have happened to me but there was already a large shop bld on the property we bought but it fronted on the highway and so for us was a non-starter as a home site.

We have been in the new house for over a month and continue to finish building it. We are now past the 3 year mark on the house project since actually breaking ground.

WELCOME TO TBN, a great bunch of folks!!!!!! with whom I am proud to associate!!!!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

harlymsn,
    I have just closed on 70 ac near Nunnally, TN and am planning on doing the same thing as you. If you could give me the details on the pole barn contractor that you used, I'd be obliged. Also, how difficult was finishing the barn? I have experience in framing and tile but not electric, plumbing, HVAC etc. I did have a well drilled on the property prior to closing, which came in at 7 gpm, and am planning on using that as my water source, as county water is prohibitively expensive. Did you trench and lay the underground power yourself, or did the power company do it? Meriwether Lewis is the utility in Hickman Co., and they want $5.00/ft to do underground, and I've got to dig the trench and supply the conduit. Don't know exactly what they do. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Mike, I did all the trenching myself. We rented an 8" ditch witch from RSC, since I did a lot of trenches I rented it for a week (about $300) I cut the trenches 3' deep, the power line was about 160' long, I installed the 3" sch40 conduit as well as the sch80 sweeps, the power co. installed the line. We also cut about a 60' line from the well, another to the septic and under the floor of the barn for the drains and the waterlines. Cut all the trenches and laid all the pipe before we poured the floor. I also cut and laid a 150' drainage tile on the high side of the building. I provided all the conduit for the electric, as well as the meter box and the service panel. I hired a local electrician to install and wire the service panel with minimum circuits, I finished the rest of the wiring myself,as well as all the plumbing.
    The barn was built by National Barn from Portland, Tn (just north of Nashville) closer to you than me. It was built in September of last year, it is 30x50x10 and the full price was $8900. I poured the floor this spring and hired a local finisher to do the job. the floor is 5 1/2' and we used about 22 yards.
    National barn in on line and in fact I just got a quote from them to build a new barn for me. It specs for a 30x40x14 with an 8x40 shed, 12x13 sliding door, 36" man door and 20' of ridge vent. Their quote was for $10,100.00, that includes material, labor and taxes. It does not include the floor. As for the walls, they built the barn with the post on 10' centers, I then built wall frames to fit between the post. I made the walls 8' high and laid the ceiling joist and beams above them. I hired a local HVAC contractor to install a heat pump system as well as all the ductwork. 2.5 ton unit $3800.00
    I am about 185 miles away, if you'd like to come by and see it you are more than welcome.