Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Propane Vs. Solar

Re: Propane Vs. Solar

We are going with stained concrete floors. Tile or flagstone in certain places. Auxiliary heating will be in-floor radiant. But I actually think there will not be much of any load on the heating system. Maybe after several consecutive overcast days (which doesn't happen much in central California).

Thanks Pat.

I also see that my links are not working - my next project!

SLO, One of the journals I get is "Concrete Homes" and they got me all excited about concrete counter tops and stained (and or stamped) concrete floors. Likewise spreads in "Fine Home Building" wth the stained crete floors and concrete countertops. Then I found that I could buy really good first quality porcelain tile and get it set for less than stained concrete. Sort of took away the incentive for me.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I never knew stamped concrete even existed until a few years ago. We had some work done a year ago in which we had the guys use "brick print" forms to pour the walls. It came out real nice. By the way, Pat...... take a guess at how many different magazines are currently in publication in the U.S. [img]/forums/images/icons/cool.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, I have no real clue but it is a large number, many many many thousands. Jeesh!! a great American hero and friend of mine (now deceased) had a subscription to "Jim Smith" a magazine published by the Jim Smith Club where the main requirement for membership was being legally named Jim Smith (James is OK) they had reunions and everything. Can you imagine hundreds or a thousand guys showing up and all putting on "HI My name is Jim Smith" buttons? OR the furror when one of them gets paged???

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] There are about sixty-thousand magazines, give or take a thousand, and some are; as you have so perfectly demonstrated; WAYYYYY out there. If you want to write articles for a magazine, there IS a publication somewhere that will buy your works, no matter what kind of nutso ravings they might contain. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Yesterday I got a nice check in the mail from a tractor magazine that I send articles to. They will be publishing three of my short stories in the Jan-Feb issue. I thought they would use just one story at a time, that was a pleasant $$$$$ surprise. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, Congratulations! I'm sure everyone here is: 1. Very happy for you and 2. dismayed at your crypto-vague non specific reference to where we have to go to read the stories.

Come on dude, where are the stories to be bublished?????????????

After all there are about 60,000 magazines and those stories are in just one. Give us a break!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I just checked on that, and the website is www.two-cylinder.com They do not have the current issue put up yet, and even if they did, the articles that I send to them always appear in the: "Perspectives" section and they usually only put up the classifieds and the main feature. I have stuff in the Nov-Dec 2002 issue and the July-August 2005 issue, both were single pieces. This last one is the most extensive that they have published so far. I'm working on two more right now here in the office and have another already on the editor's desk. With the issues being two months apart, my goal is to be able to "spot" a couple of stories in each issue. Two months is plenty of time.......... as long as the ideas keep coming that is..... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Last year I made a decision to really get rolling on cranking out the magazine articles; writing for fun and profit so to speak. I have to do SOMETHING to be able to deduct this office now that my other business is finally closed. I spotted a couple of other publications that should be right for my non-tractor stuff, and I'm going to be sending to them as well. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Dave, GOOD ON YA, MATE!! I'm delighted to hear of your success. There never seems to be enough GOOD writers. My writing talent (if it could be called that) when I get serious, runs toward the academic. Way too many years in academia and working in a DoD/Navy lab and writing in GovernmentSpeak and such. Tends to distort one's written communications in contrast with "regular folks."

Keep up the good work.

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I actually learned how to "technical write" by reading the manuals that came with interesting army surplus stuff that we got when i was a kid. That, and the Motors Truck Repair Manual, 1956. I always liked the way the military described stuff: Vehicle.....cargo.....motor driven....2-ton....gasoline powered.......cigarette lighter equipped......blah, blah. In fact, English is backwards. We should say: Truck, Red instead of red truck. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave