Thread: gas log fireplaces?

gas log fireplaces?

Hello,
    Wanted to know what you guys thought about gas log fireplaces. I've searched all over the net looking at them and I still can't make up my mind if I want a vented or a non-vented. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Re: gas log fireplaces?

Vented.

Egon

I don't have any experience with those units, but will say that I'd feel more comfortable with a vented unit from a safety standpoint.

Others may have different opinions of course.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

I have a non vented logs which is what you want. The vented logs are more for looks than anything an they will also smoke up your house if not corectly vented. If you put the vented type in a fireplace an open the damper to vent the logs your heat goes out the chimney. The vented type has a yellower flame to look more like real logs burning which means more smoke while the unvented has a blue flame.

We had a vented propane fireplace which also helped heat the house. Replaced it for a woodburning insert.

Flame colour depends on the gass air mix. Lots of places will not let you install unvented fire places.

Egon

Either is perfectly acceptable and has it's place. I currently have what I'll call non-vented. We have a late 1800's Victorian Farmhouse with 6 fireplaces that were converted to gas logs because of the internal condition of the chimneys. The chimneys however were not sealed completely which allows some ventilation. I have natural gas as a fuel type. In my business I have installed both but will say that vented seems to be the most popular. The reason for this is the ability to convert to real wood at some point if desired. This just means that the firebox and flue that are installed meet wood burning criteria. In my little house on "The Farm" I have two wall mounted, propane fueled, thermostat controlled, non-vented heaters. The only real difference here is that I don't have the ceramic logs for the visual effect. I did however install carbon monoxide alarms in the house as a precaution. Do your home work on brands and such as they are not all the same quality. Hope this helps some.

Happy Holidays..... [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "Wisdom isn't free, though your only price is to pay attention"

Vent free are not legal is several areas-states. Doesn't that make you at all curious as to why? Vent free are equipped with an ODS (oxygen depletion sensor) to turn the the heater off before the oxygen level in the space goes so low as to turn your personal fire off (you die.) Do you want to live in an oxygen deprived atmosphere? Do you want to live in a chimney? Some folks, especially folks with allergies, asthma, and the like) NEED to stay away from vent free. All the moisture of combustiion stays in the space and may condense on cool serfaces encouraging mold and mildew.

On the other hand...

Direct vent gas logs come in two types: 1. decorative, and 2. heating appliance rated. the heating rated are not of neccessitiy non-decorative or ugly, just that they meet the set criteria for a heating applinace. I have installed only 2 full sized gas log fireplaces, one of which has been in service over 4 years and is VERY pleasing in looks and performance I have 4 gas logs in my new house, one full size and three smaller ones in the form of decorative parlor stoves but with mineral glass viewing windows and nice artificial log sets. They are all rated as heating appliances not as decorative only.

There are also B-vent units.

Just putting a gas log in a wood burning fireplace is indeed decorative and minimaly functional. Had one of those too. It was mostly for the effect and was a lousy heater. As is typical with plain vanilla fireplaces you roast your front and freeze your back due to the draft.

All 4 of my gas log units are fully sealed combustion and can't backdraft into the living space.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Having bought one of these non-vented type fireplaces at our other house, when it came time to install , I had bad feeling about using that unit , i cut a hole and vented the unit outside, most of these types use O2 from the room to feed the fire, with the way houses are constructed to be almost airtight these days, in my opinion that using un-vented was a bad answer. I work as gas,oil fired boiler engineer and know the importance of O2 or lack of in regards to a fire. In our new house we have a vented gas fireplace that also takes in fresh air in from the outside(much better setup) in my opinion.

Brent

I have used the vent free and the vented (propane) gas. Currently, I have a direct vent fireplace. The vent goes out the side of the house, not through the roof like a chimney.

I have had no problems with either type of setup. However, with the vent-free heater we also had a "smell" in the house. I must admit too that the vent-free heater would shut down once in a while. I assume it was the oxygen sensor shutting it down.

Our new direct vent fireplace gives us no trouble at all and there is no smell. We love it!

Wes