Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Electric Fence Grounding

Electric Fence Grounding

I am going to put up an electric tape fence and I am trying to figure out a few things. The property that I am going to fence is like the letter ‘C’ and the electric source will start in the back part of the C in the middle. Is this a viable option? All of the diagrams that I have looked at start at an end of a fence instead of in the middle of a fence. If so, where do the grounding rods go?

Thanks,
    Scott

Re: Electric Fence Grounding

Ground rods go near the charger. I have mine in the middle too, and seems to work fine. The better the ground the better the fence works. I use two ground rods tied together to improve the effectiveness of the charger. By the way, do not use or tie into the house ground. It will most likely pop your GFCI's if you do...

Joe

Feeding from the center is better than feeding from one end. Grounding effects performace quite a bit. Multiple ground rods increase the surface area of contact with the earth and lower the resistance (helps improve performance.) You might drive two rods or one long one. How to chose? If the soil is moist near the surface then a couple rods will work well and are easier than driving a long rod. If you have to go deep to get moist soil then a longer rod will work better. It is all about conductivity from the ground rod to the soil. A good charger will deliver only so so to poor performance with a poor ground. An excellent ground will help get all the performance designed into your particular unit.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Scott, just thought I would ask... how much area are you fencing in? 1 or 2 acres it won't make a big difference where you put the grounding rod... Also, what type of livestock, pets, or family members are you attempting to keep in or out?
    - William

I am fencing in 5 acres. The electric fence is for my 2 horses, they are destroying my fence by rubbing on it.

Can I run the grounding rods along the fence or does it have to be perpendicular?

Thanks,
    Scott

flymutt, The ground rods are for making contact with the actual dirt so the animal standing on dirt will complete the circuit when it touchesthe "hot wire." To reduce electrical resistance, having the ground rods contact moist soil is a good thing. Orientation, other than to access moist dirt, is not an important issue.

If you have lightning where you are you might want to consider lightning protection for your fence charger.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

One thing I did that seems to work well is run a ground strand between the hot strands on the fence, along with the grounding rods at the fence energizer.

That way you tie all the posts ( metal T-posts in my case except for the corners ) in to a large grounding grid. It saves a bit of time and money as well, not having to buy and install insulators for all the fence wires.

twstanley, The ground "strand" is an excellent strategy if the strands are spaced such that the stock in question are likely to touch the ground and hot at the same time. With really dry surface soil conditions, chargers typically lose effectiveness and don't command the respect that is an effective deterrent to fence dammage. The ground strand, of course, does not lose potency due to drought.

Due to the layout of my fence, my charger is on one end. I started with fours strands but when the weather got dry, I had to make the 3rd strand from the ground into a ground strand. The other three rows will still work back to the charger ground, weakly of course. You can increase your charger ground by using more rods. I have three spaced ten feet apart, parallel and close to my posts. When I changed to a grounded row, I added six more rods around my fence. One thing you do not want to do is to locate your charger/ground rod near a water source for your animals. They could get a shock when they drink. Your charger should come with directions plus you can find them on line on several fencing material sites.

We get some serious lightning at our farm. After smoking a couple of chargers, I no longer depend on the lightning arrester. I have those large lever type switches near my charger to disconnect it when we have lightning. In the up position, ground and hot are connected. When in the down position, the charger is isolated and if lightning hits my fence, it gets shunted to ground. I can't always be home to throw the switches of course so luckily, I had not lost a charger since adding them.

Great, thanks for all of the advice, sounds pretty straight forward.

Thanks,
    Scott