Thread: grass

grass

I am going to landscape my new house site. i have some grass that looks green but is all weeds so i will have to remove it. Do i rototill it or use a box scraper to take it out. i am going to plant sod when i get the land ready. i can find all kinds of books that show me what it will look like but none on how to start from scratch and prepare the ground help

Re: grass

<font color="blue"> ( i have some grass that looks green but is all weeds so i will have to remove it. ) </font color>

So, I guess it's NOT grass.

What I would do is spray the area with Round-up -- then put down your sod. If the area is already smooth, you probably don't have to do anything else. Otherwise, bring in some top-soil and level off the area before putting down your new sod.

If you fertilize and keep the grass healthy (and don't cut it too short), the weeds will get choked out.

I'd do this project in the spring.

How about filling out your profile so we know what area on this planet you live -- it helps when giving out advice.
    :: D A V E
    :: g a t o r b o y

In other words, grass is in the eye of the beholder.
    We have just mowed the native grasses and have quite a nice lawn. The folks who planted grass or laid sod saw a lot of it die out during this summer's drought.

If you decide to sod, after the Round Up, also consider spreading a pre-emergent just before you lay the sod....helps to keep the weeds from sprouting through the new sod before it can become established...

thanks I have a hight problem that the old grass or green weeds are about to the top of my cement pads so i will have to remove dirt. Rototill or box scraper. ?

Rototill just fluffs up the soil - you'll need the box scraper to remove soil.

I'd Round-up and THEN scrape.