Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does the hydraulic oil freeze?

Re: Does the hydraulic oil freeze?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] As I recall, to get to the rearmost spark plug on the right bank you had a port inside the cockpit that you stuck the socket through. I had no idea that Chrysler was involved with Sunbeam, maybe Bob's "Beam" was earlier in mfg. I don't recall what year it was since he had it before I knew him in '67. I used to watch "Get Smart" now and then but I was too busy focusing on Barbra Feldon (99) to remember anything about Maxwell's car. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] The years from '63 to '67 were a blur. Auto racing, college, and a nagging vision that I would NOT come back from Veet Nom made those years sort of unrecognizable. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
    CJDave

CJDAVE, Barbara Feldon sparked a fantasy here and there for a lot of guys. "THAT LOOK" and how 'bout those Berkely teeth?

With stock cast iron exhaust manifolds the spark plugs were a bear and the dealer would disconnect a motor mount to hike the engine up for better access to the most difficult plugs. The easiest plug to access was the port aft (left, ie.e driver's side rearmost plug) as there was a large rubber grommet centered on it behuind and to the right of the accelerator. Yup, no sweat on that one, socket got it! Easy one.

After puting on the optional tuned equal length welded up headers there was much better access to the other plugs. Hood clearance was tight too. A dude at a hot rod/racing tuneup shop felt sorry for me since my Tiger only had a skimpy hex nut holding on the air cleaner instead of the "standard" wing nut. He payed to have the mini-bubble taken out of the hood where there wasn't room for a wingnut on the air cleaner.

Air cleaners were interesting too. The OEM Air cleaner was AC brand but most stores when given the number said it didn't exist. I saved a box to cary in the trunk as proof. I cut them some slack as it was a BRITISH AC part and number. I also used to cary ballast resistor spares in the trunk with alligator clips for a quick temp install. My Judson electronic magneto (coil replacement) ate them. Great high RPM spark but short ballast life.

Chryslers only connection to the Tigetr was to cancel racing support and put a gold star on the fender.

Hey dude, surely you remember the Beetles, Rowan and Martin, and the Smothers Bros. I recall that time period with mixed emotion too. College then USAF 29Aug63-29Aug67 then college again and again and again and again... Being on campus during the war protests, hippies, potheads, communists on campus, Don't eat Grapes in support of Ceasar Chavez, Mao's Little Red Book and on and on. At one point I had a couple Vietnamese students teach me how to say Chairman Mao eats grapes.

I recall one day one of the SDS (Students for a Democratic Society, (they were way left of the communists as far as I was concerned) Took time off from chanting "Ho, Ho, Ho Chi Minh, NLF is gonna win!" to come into an advanced upper division physics class about bosons (maybe he thought it was about bozos and felt attracted) Anyway, the instructor asked the class if we wanted to allow the activist to speak to us about an anti-war ralley or continue class. Nearly all of the all male class rose as one man and headed for the bozo who beat a hasty retreat out the door and down the hall in fear for his bodily safety. We were about half vets and didn't care for the left wing liberal arts trash from across campus interfering with our pursuit of the "Father Science" (physics.)

Now to return closer to topic: At San Diego State University we didn't have much trouble with freezing effects on lubricants. However, on one cold grey morning during an advanced calculus class it began to snow, little tiny flakes, few and far between but recognizable snow. The entire class AND instructor (except for me) raced to the window to see it snow. Having just returned from three consecutive winters in Minot, (frozen) ND I wasn't too impressed by a tea spoon of snow. To my recollection we experienced no hydraulic dificulties attributable to this winter event.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

There must be something wrong: I used to plow snow and the tractor worked in cold weather. Now, I start it and the hydraulics work for few minutes and then it stops, loader as well as 3PT arms. Just dead. If I engage the valve it does not even try. Is it bad for the pump if I keep trying and the pump does not labor? Is there a hydraulic oil for winter?

Works with thick oil but not with warmer oil?

Assumming it is a separate hydraulic pump it may be worn.

Or can the three point control be out of adjustment bypassing all the oil?

And yes there are different viscosity hydraulic oils.

Egon