Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frozen water pipes

Frozen water pipes

Overnight temps hit 8F and the pipes to the kitchn sink on the north wall of the kitchen, froze up. I spent altogether too much time inside the lower cabinet straining to work behind the garbage disposal and dodge the pipes and valves and hoses...

I opened up the wall by cutting the sheetrock to discover that the plumber had put the pipes against the outer wall of the cavity and adding insult to inury the insulators ahd insulated the pipes FROM the heat in the house. I managed to get the clamps off of the pipes, secured with ring shank nails #%$(*# mind you.

I pulled the PEX piping away from the outer wall and placed rigid sheet foam insulation behind the pipes.... Ahh, all better now.

The next night was 3-4 degrees F and in the morning there was no water flowing anywhere in the house. I went to my water control area and switched from rural water to well water and got zip, nada, zilch, nothing..... This is when I called the plumber. He showed me where he HID the valve that turns on the well water to the house. Next he checked around for water and found that the pipes inside the rural water district's meter box for the water meter that serves my house had frozen up. They didn't bury it deep enough. We sure made the resident mouse i the meter box nervous when we used a propane torch to thaw it out. I'd like to keep the mouse living in there so his body heat will help keep the pipes thawed out!

I insulated the inside of the box, burried it under a FEL load of dirt and raked the dirt off till it wa level with the lid. Hope that is good enough as it is a few hundred yards away and not convenient to electricity. Now I am finally feeling like I got 'er done. Just prior to lunch I notice that there is no water at the sink in my wifes tea room. I shove a small heater under the sink and close the door. After lunch it is thawed. I go to F_I_V_E stores before I find a heater tape. I get a heater tape wth thermostat, cut a hole i the attic closet wall to access the back side of the wall where the froxen pipes are and now that is done. I raeason that it is cheaper to use a heater tape on a thermostat than to set the zone stat up enough to prevent the problem when we aren't using the room.

I get a call from my general contractor who had heard all about day one but not day two. He had spent the day taking siding off of his latest two completed homes to cut the OSB to access the frozen pipes that had insulation on the wrong side.

He claims he will now change the way he builds. In future no water pipes in outside walls because you cant trust the plumbers to do the right thing and you cant trust the insulators to do the right thing. He will bring the pipes up out of the slab a few inches from the wall instead of inside the wall.

The crisis is past but I will be doing some explatory surgery. I will open up the wall in two more location to see the situation and change it if needed.

Hope this tale of woe helps someone from suffering a problem like mine.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Re: Frozen water pipes

Whew, Pat, you sure have my sympathy. That's the main reason I hate freezing weather; worrying about water pipes freezing.

Jeez - after all that I hope you got a shower ?? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Little thinks -- Inspection - inspection !

Thank the Diety you are not in Minot.

Egon

Egon, Thank the USAF, Viet Nam vet GI bill for college, the "diety", and THE DEITY, and whatever that I'm not in Minot.

We have no permit/inspection process and it is tough to watch every nail go it. They didn't uniformly mess up or even enough to cause concern.... at the time. Note that when queried the process reported is correct as per plumbers and insulators. YET, they both got it wrong at least once at the same place. Once a few of these fairly simple (although of potential great consequence) "bugs" are corrected, I think I will have few systems problems.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Bird, In retrospect I think it would have been a good idea to install thermostatically controlled heater tapes on all in-wall water pipes.

My general contractor, after having to tear into walls of the two latest homes he finished to attack frozen pipes due to simultaneous plumbing and insulalting errors now claims he will not install any water pipes inside exterior walls. Done properly, it is not a big risk. Apparently the risk is in some plumber's and insulator's helpers not getting it right and it gets covered in drywall before it is noticed.

Some of my freeze up problems were self inflicted. I had the unoccupied zones thermostat too low (now have heater tape there.) The freezeup in the rural water district's meter box was a surprise but I have added dirt around it to the level of the lid and insulated the interior as best I could. The "box" is round and hard to fit with rigid foam sheet. I cut sheet to resemble barrel staves and placed many layers around the periphery until I ran out of space then put several layers horizontal under the lid. As there is a remote readout device I had to cut a central hole in the top of the insullation to clear that thing. There are some of the horizontal "lid like" pieces that were not "cored out" so I still feel pretty good about the job. The rural water district will hear from me about the professionalism and workmanship of their installaltion.

I still have to "core sample", i.e. cut a plug like sampling a watermellon in a couple exterior wall water pipe installaltions to see if they are done right or are inverted (bass ackwards!)

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Never can get the i and the e in the proper sequence. [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Never can get the i and the e in the proper sequence

[/ QUOTE ]

i before e except after c
    or when pronounced as an a
    as in neighbor or weigh

And then there's always an exception to the rule. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Egon, I wouldn't say "NEVER" since if you always do I before E you will be right the majority of the time. So much for the I before E except after C. Deity is a rule breaker. English is just so irregular and weird. Penelope should be pronounced penny-lope unless you want to pronounce cantelope as can-tol-o-pee. How about the circus music played on a steam caly-OPE (OPE like in HOPE) instead of cah-LIE-oh-pee.

Since there is no word in the English language that contains a "Q" except when followed by a "U", why not rename the "Q" as "QU" and drop the redundant "U" get a stock qote. Don't be a qitter. Be qite qiet.

I can't ever remember the proper sequence for the jingle anyway! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Just figure I'm getting senile and it don't really matter.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Pat,

I think the mouse in the meter box appeciates your providing the extra insulation for the winter. You didn't need to insulate the box, you just need more mice. How many BTU does a mouse generate anyway?
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?