Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Soy Milk

Re: Soy Milk

I believe in America the melting pot, not America the group of seperatist enclaves.

Hear hear!

Sun City, eh? Pat, this is getting weird. You and I have too much in common. I lived in Hemet for 8 years. My folks lived there longer, but did a year or so in Sun City.

My experience with all kinds of foods is that the commercially-made products often taste and appear superior to home made. Sometimes of course homemade is better.

Peanut butter. Or any nut butter, for that matter. Use a Champion juicer to make peanut butter and you will never enjoy store bought again.

I was getting a razzing at work one day for brown bagging a PB&J for lunch. Then I told them my wife made the peanut butter fresh that morning. And she made the bread yesterday. And the raspberry jam last week.

There were a lot of dropped jaws and no more comments. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, the Champion juicer also does a terrific job on frozen bananas.

Mark, I don't know anything about Champion juicers, but I'm a peanut addict; rarely a day goes by that I don't have my measure of roasted peanuts. And I've never found any roasted peanuts that could compare favorably with getting the raw Jumbo Spanish peanuts, roasting them in oven or microwave myself, and then adding a little butter and salt. I also learned years ago that I could put those peanuts, after roasting, in a blender and make peanut butter. I don't know whether it's any better, but it's sure at least as good as any peanut butter you can buy in the store.

BlueRidge, My mom moved to Sun City from Bullhead City, AZ where she lived near the Colorado river because it was too far from my sister and I in San Bernardino, and San Diego respectively. She was there for several years but when I bought my quarter sectiion in Oklahoma (not too far from where she was born and raised) and told her she could have a house on my property she went for it.

I liked Hemet, a nice little city. Neat lake. Weird is if you track all the parallels and congruences between Bird and I. At least our near ancestors ate the same dirt if we aren't related. I'd be afraid to wager too much on it what with DNA testing.

Meanwhile back on my soapbox for a moment... Some call Americans mongrels. I think that in many instances we exhibit the best that hybrid vigor offers. Surely as a whole we are much greater than the sum of our parts. This will continue to be true if we steer clear of "separate but equal" and similar aberations of what our founding fathers were trying to establish with this great experiment.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Bird:

Many brands of Store peanut butter have the peanut oil replaced with a less costly oil.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

"less costly oil"

and often hydrogenated to RUIN the healty aspects of peanut butter and then lots of suggar is added in one form or another.

I like the Laura Scudders that is just peanuts and salt, crunchy or extra crunchy please.

In some markets (in larger cities) you can buy fresh ground peanut butter or even grind your own just like some coffee is available to grind it yourself right there in the store isle.

DIY peanut butter can, with proper technique and equipment, exceed the qualitly level of flavor and texture of typical store bought. I especially don't like the store bought with all the BAD OILS with hydrogenation and added suggars. Just give me finely smashed peanuts please with a few lumps 'n' chunks in it to tease my tongue.

I used to "cut" my DIY peanut butter with ground up roasted soy beans as a sop to thoughts about peanut butter's fat content. Done right it is still a good thing.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

I guess you could say I added a little of the "less costly oils", too, because I always put a little butter or margarine and salt on the peanuts I roasted. Then if I made peanut butter out of them, sometimes I even added a little more butter or margarine. Peanut butter that's too "dry" sticks to the roof of your mouth, teeth, etc., so I just almost never eat peanut butter without mixing it will jelly, syrup, or honey, both for texture and flavor.

Bird, you devil... Honey and peanut butter on saltines or bread, still warm home made bread... OOOOOh you are making me crave peanut butter with honey stirred in!

<font color="blue"> Mark, I don't know anything about Champion juicers, </font color>

http://www.championjuicer.com/

<font color="blue"> I don't know whether it's any better, but it's sure at least as good as any peanut butter you can buy in the store. </font color>

I'd bet on it being a LOT better.

<font color="blue"> I liked Hemet, a nice little city. </font color>

Used to be, Pat. Used to be. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Still have good friends there. If you stop in at the Sizzler (the eaternmost of the two), you'll enjoy one of the best run Sizzlers in California, managed by of a friend of mine. It was a DUMP before he took over.