Thread: Organic Milk Replacer

Organic Milk Replacer

In the past, I have raised "grass fed" calves and have sold the finished product at farmers markets, but mainly to steady repeat customers. "Grass Fed" is as close to organic as possible without the "Organic" label. Since I buy my calves at auction, and are only days old I have been using non-medicated milk replacer in the past, but not classified as organic. Wanting to keep as close to organic as possible does anybody know of "Organic" milk replacer, I cannot find any in NY
    Buck
    My tractor is not a toy, its one of many tools of the trade

Re: Organic Milk Replacer

Yes, it's called a cow. (Just kidding.) [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] But we do have several dairy cows that we use for nurse cows. Feeding them is cheaper than buying milk replacer and you can usually start three calves along with the cow's baby. We feed these calves supplements along with the milk and then wean these calves at about 400 pounds and put two more calves on the cow until we dry her off.

Re: Organic Milk Replacer

isg
    although I do have dairy farms nearby, none of them are "ORGANIC". I'm trying to get as close to organic (no drugs, hormones,or anti-biotics) as possible since "Natural, Grass Fed Beef" " is the marketing/selling points of my beef.
    Buck
    My tractor is not a toy, its one of many tools of the trade