Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: diesel truck help can't decide what to get

Re: diesel truck help can\'t decide what to get

I am thinking Cummins power + Allison trans in a Ford pick up. I get chills just thinking about it!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ron

gates, without a doubt that would be a winning combination. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

FarmerJim,

Well?
    What did you decide?
    You posted in Dec, so the statute of limitations is running... [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

And if you bought a diesel, i want to hijack your thread [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img] , except i want opinions on which used truck to look for or lookout for. If y'all were going to buy a 2500, or 3500 dually both in 4x4, and around 10 years old what would the recommendations be?
    Let the voting begin:

RD

<font color="red">What I'd like to see is a Cummins powered pickup with an allison 6 speed auto tranny. </font color>

Ford has had this combination for about 10 years in the F-650 and up trucks. I owned one for about a week. It was a nice unit.

I used to think that too. I have had Ford F250's, and always liked them. Mine were gas models, but they were great trucks.

I got my Dodge, for the Cummins, I like the style, and have been around Mopars since I was a kid; I got it from the dealer where my Dad has worked since '68(Parts and shop); I got a pretty good deal on it.

I found I like it just fine; I do not think the Ford has anything over it. I still really like the Fords, but my Dodge is really great too.

If I were to get another truck, it would be nice to get one with an Allison. But, I wouldn't need it to be a Ford/Cummins/Allison combo. Now, I wouldn't turn down a Ford/Cummins/Allison combo, but I wouldn't go out of my way from a Dodge to get it.

I have only two things really that I would change in my truck. First, I got the heavy duty package with low gears and all. That Cummins just doesn't need 4:11 gears for most stuff. The 3:55, or a 3:73 would be just fine. 2nd, I think I would go with a 6-spd stick instead of an auto. Niether are a problem with the truck, they were just personal choices at the time I bought it.

Robert, I selected the same rear gear as you and most of the time it is NOT NEDED. So, I added the Over/Under drive aux tranny in the overdrive configuration so I can have it both ways.

I was massively unimpressed with the Dodge's auto tranny, especially the "missing" gear between 3rd (straight through 1:1) and 4th gear (overdrive.) There is a BIG gap there, maybe not a big deal with a gas hog but considerable for the more limited useful RPM range of the diesel. If while loaded you encounter a hill that you can't hold in 4th and have to drop down to 3rd for a good distance/time it gets BORING having to travel so slow when it is gearing not a lack of HP or torque that is limiting you.

With the Gear Vendors brand (US GEAR and others make similar) Over/Under drive aux tranny I have 8 forward speeds and can shift up through all 8 at full throtle under load with no problems as the unit was designed to shift up or down under full power.

I think the Gear Vendors is the BEST choice for me. The down side is that you have to shift out of the aux prior to using the exhaust brake. It only takes a fractio of a second and soon becomes second nature. The US GEAR version does not require this but I didn't like it as well. Either one gives you gear "splitting" and "inserts" a gear between Dodge's 3rd anf 4th gears where it is sorely needed if yo pull or haul a heavy load up much of a grade.

Another advantage is that when unloaded or lightly loaded I can shift into DOUBLE OVERDRIVE and cruise the interstate at or above the legal limit at nicely lowered fuel saving RPMs. A downside of the PULLIN' gearing in the diff is high cruise RPM but with the aux tranny that is more than handled. You should never "work" the Cummins (my '97 is 12 valve so yor RPM could be different) below 1700 RPM so over over drive is only useful at highway speeds. However there are plenty of times when I choose to drive in 3rd over rather than 4th, especially when loaded and want to pass slower traffic on a hill.

The Allison tranny would replace all of this with a single tranny that would git 'er done or alternately if I would opt for a manual tranny (not likely) a good 6 speed would do the trick.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Gear Vendors brand (US GEAR and others make similar)

[/ QUOTE ]

I had the Gear Vendors on the '89 one ton dually Chevy and the U.S. Gear on the '92 Bounder motorhome (460 Ford engine). Both had the old 3 speed automatics. Two BIG differences between them:

(1) the Gear Vendors cost a lot more, and
    (2) the Gear Vendors would shift up or down under full throttle while with the U.S. Gear, you had to let up on the accelerator like driving the old trucks with the 2 speed rear end.

The Gear Vendors I had was rated for 30k pounds while the U.S. Gear was rated for 40K, but since either was considerably more than I needed, that was a wash. The Gear Vendors was definitely more of a pleasure to drive.

Bird, Did you have over or under units? Since I bought the truck new, I had the choice of high or low rear end and then get the aux unit to give the other. I chose to go low on the truck and make up for it with the aux unit. Of course when I went from OEM wheels and tires to Alcoa 19.5 wheels with Michelin M&amp;S tires (same size the UPS used in their trucks prior to the Sprinter) I got a gearing boost as well. So I am running about half way between the high and low gearing options from Dodge and then the OD boosts me up higher than the highest stock option from Dodge. This baby will really haul across the open roads in west Texas and NM or parts of Arid Zona, even with a big boxy camper on it. I don't like to go that fast unless I can see quite a ways ahead and am not in a lot of traffic. It is happy to cruise a lot faster than I am happy to drive it. I don't like to cruise for long periods over 85 with the camper on (or off) but that is just me, not an equipment limitation.

Oh, and I will maintain plausible deniabillity of any thing I say that might be construed to indicate any transgression where laws may be involved!

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat, since I got my units before the automatic overdrive transmissions, I went with the overdrive units both times. The '89 Chevy had a 4.10 differential and I don't remember for sure on the motorhome, but I think it was about 5.11. Like you said, it made those 3 speed transmissions into 6 speeds with the top one being a 22% overdrive; same result at making that 4.10 rear end into a 3.20. Actually I never had any need for first over, so I guess you could say I ran a 5 speed. Having second over was really great in the mountains.

The other really good thing about it was gas mileage. I really didn't notice any substantial difference in the mileage when I was pulling the trailer, but when I wasn't pulling the trailer, I just left the Gear Vendors set to automatically shift into overdrive at 40 mph, and averaged better than a 25% increase in gas mileage.