Husky is not nearly as old a name as Craftsman but so what. Craftsman isn't such good tools as just a recognized name and a decent warranty. I don't think there is a Husky tool factory any more than there is a Craftsman tool factory or a Kenmore ANYTHING factory. They are tools built to a price to mass market under a nifty sounding name.

Compare a Crescent brand crescent wrench to a Craftsman brand of the same rated size. The Craftsman is heavier, clunkier, thicker jaws, more clumsy, and will not open to accept as large a nut as the real thing. In addition the Craftsman is made of cheaper softer steel and gets the jaws chewed up way easier. Still, for once in a while not super demanding use the Craftsman with its warranty may be a good deal. I have some Harbor Freight "Crescent wrenches" too that are OK for how I use them.

If you are climbing up a 100 + foot tower with a tool belt full of tools on your hip the Craftsman and its bretheren are NOT GOOD CHOICES for their weight and what if you need the jaws to open a bit wider. What, carry the 12 inch because the 10 inch won't open far enough? The Crescent brand 10 inch weighs maybe a little less than a craftsman 8 inch and opens about as wide as the Craftsman 12 inch.

OK, I ragged on Craftsman but take a look at the Husky, how much better, if any, is it? Waranty can be a good news bad news story. The good news is that if you mess up a tool you can exchange it but the bad news is with some tools is that after very much hard use you WILL NEED to exchange it.

It all depends on your needs and your usage. I have an eclectic mix of brands and qualities but in general don't expect a cheapie to last/perform like a good tool. One area where quality vs junk stands out fast is with ViseGrips locking pliers! The real thing will grip a headless screw and allow backing it off when two or three sizes and brands of "look alike" tools totally fail to be able to get or maintain a grip on the screw. For that task it isn't just a matter of speed or convenience it is the difference between getting it done at all or wasting time.

I have a few Craftsman socket sets. I like them, They are heavier and clumsier than some of the better brands. They are similar to Husky. Sometimes the ratchet is a tad big and tough to get into a few spots. The ratchets are heavier than the "good brands" and tire me faster working overhead like from a creeper. Sometimes the sockets are a bit fatter than will easily fit into a tight location. I have been known to use a grinder to make a custom thin wall socket for special jobs. This isn't as much a consideration for folks who buy higher grade tools. I also have a BIG SOCKET SET (3/4 drive) made in China but I don't use it in tight places or very often so it works for me.

You will have to decide if your actual usage will be adequately supported by the functionality of the Husky tools. If not the price and warranty will NOT make up for it. It could be a perfect match for your use. Only you can tell and maybe not till you have used them for quite a while. Good luck, I hope I have raised a few useful/interesting questions in your mind which have stimulated your thinking. Perhaps you will be a more cautious/thoughtful buyer.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]