Thread: HOT relish

HOT relish

Been eating the chow-chow I made this year and am disappointed in the heat. I make about 12 pints each time because that is a good scale for me. I put in what I thought would be plenty of mixed hot peppers and still got only a bit of heat. I think part of my problem is the peppers used. I had mainly jalapenos, cayennes and an unidentified small hot chili. I didn't want to use too many jalapenos as they have a distinctive taste of their own, which I like, but didn't want to overpower my relish. So, next year's garden will have more varieties of hot peppers. I'm wondering about how many habaneros per pint would be enough to give me some real bite to the relish. Anyone got an idea?

Chuck

Re: HOT relish

Chuck, There are widely available lists that compare heat units of different varieties of peppers. These were developed by diluting the various peppers and using actual people as tasters to get a concensus that accurately protrays the "HEAT" of various types.

My personal opinion, having raised habeneros, is NOT MANY!

Recall Robin Williams as Adrian in "Good Morning Viet Nam" giving a weather report/forecast? IT is hot, this afternoon it will be hot, tonight it will be hot, tomorrow it will be hot! (Paraphrased du to my poor memory) After eating a habenero your tongue and mouth will be hot. Maytbe I'm just a wimp and not a true chili head (I eat pickled jalepenos like candy) but HABENEROS are beyond my personal limit on heat. I use them sparingly.

See the post I will be putting up in just moments...

I'll call it Chili Stove.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"