Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Chihuahua

Re: Chihuahua

Bird, she's a Chihuahua. She can't be anything but puny, [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] unless she's like my parents' Chihuahua. We used to call her the watermelon with legs. She's lost weight now; with liver problems. My folks will be devastated when she goes, and I'm afraid that may be soon.

Now Dee will have a good battle scar to show off to all the neighborhood dogs!

Gary, I'm hoping Dee doesn't gain much, if any, more weight. She weighs 8 pounds now. And while she runs on 3 legs instead of 4, she acts like she's already recovered, and wants to run and play.

Looks like a smaller version of my dog after her surgury. Mine's not a Chihuahua, but the surgury looks familar. We had some Morphine Sulfate for pain, but only used two doses. We did have to keep one of those Elisabethian Collars on her to keep her from licking and tearing at the stitches. Also needed to support her rear end some when she went out for about a week. Maybe that's not as big an issue with a smaller dog?

Hope she heals up really fast.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, we decided to go ahead and buy one of those collars ($10), just in case we needed it, but we haven't used it. The first evening (the day of the surgery), she was groggy and obviously hurting, didn't want anything to eat or drink and really didn't even want to take the pain pill (half a 25 mg Rimadyl), but we finally got her to take it. The next morning (yesterday) she still required some coaxing to get her to take that pill and the Cosequin DS pill. But by afternoon, she took her twice daily Rimadyl with no problem, then stood at the water bowl and drank longer than I've ever seen her drink. And today . . . she's acting like her old self, except for running around on 3 legs. If I open a door, she'll try to beat me through it. The vet said to give her these pain pills twice a day for 20 days, so I guess we'll do that, but she's not showing any signs of being in pain anymore. Everything I've read and been told is that the small dogs have a lot less trouble with this surgery than bigger dogs do, so it appears that's right.

Bird, Glad it seems to be going as well as you describe. You need to post a video of her running around on three legs.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Gary, I got myself a GIN-U-WINE digital camera a few years ago, but I still don't have a digital video camera and I even sold my VHS video equipment a few years ago. [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Some of those GIN-U-WINE digital cameras can take a small piece of video.