Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How many people use Tax Software

Re: How many people use Tax Software

Thanks all for your replies, seems Turbo Tax is the favorite,
    will try it this year.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    ( HER Name has been Taken In Vain! )

[/ QUOTE ]
    Are we talking about that guys wife who made $100,000(with a $1000 investment????) in the cattle futures market and don't have a clue [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] how she made that money.
    If she could only post her secret on CountryByNet, I think I'll have a extra $1000 to invest, when my tax return comes [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Buck
    My tractor is not a toy, its one of many tools of the trade

I've used the TurboTax online version for the past few years and been happy with it. It really doesn't save you any money... not buying a physical software package... but I like it because it allows me to log into their site from wherever I am, and not being forced to install some software package that I will delete after April 15th.

AndrewY

I have used Tax Act for about 5 years. I think I pay about $20 but that's with preodering it in Sept. I can't remember if that includes the state. The first electronic filing is free and works well. Not sure how it works with a more complicated return, ours is always pretty simple.
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

I used TurboTax Deluxe, as usual, this year, filed my tax return electronically on 1/29/06 and my refund was deposited in my checking account on 2/10/06.

Tax Software

...is only as smart as the user. If you aren't a professional, your chances of messing up your return are very great.

I'm doing data entry for a tax service this year (first time I've ever worked in an accounting office), and part of our service involves e-filing self-prepared returns. So far, EVERY SINGLE self-preparer has messed up, shorting themselves hundreds of dollars on their refunds because they didn't understand what they are doing.

One person thought she would save money last year by buying one of the popular tax programs but she not only paid for the software, but she then had to pay a pro to fix what she screwed up AND had to pay penalties and interest to boot. Actually, she spent more on the software than she would have been charged at our office and her mistakes ended up costing her a couple thousand dollars. Talk about penny wise, pound foolish.

Another major source of problems come from well-meaning amateur preparers such as AARP's volunteers. They frequently cost the users of their services LOTS of money simply because the training they have received is woefully inadequate.

Do yourself a favor and hire a CPA; chances are very high that they will pay for themselves many times over.

Well as this thread is 4 years old probsbly the original poster doesn't care. But I do have a BBA in accounting and I reccommend Turbo Tax to anyone who does not have a complicated return. Most people with only W4 and 1099's simpy don't need anything better. And there are still some people in this world that are just plain computer illiterate and they probably should not use tax programs.

Do yourself a favor and hire a CPA; chances are very high that they will pay for themselves many times over.
    I don't necessarily disagree, but I've done my own since before computer days. And twice, once when I retired and sold the house and once when I got into farming, I went to a CPA after I did my tax return on TurboTax and printed out a copy, took all my records, and was more than willing to pay whatever they charged to make sure I had it right. Both times they said they couldn't help me; that I had it all done right already, and to come back when they could help me. However, in spite of my willingness and expectation to pay them, both CPAs declined payment, so they were more than honest.

I just finished my taxes with Turbo Tax and it worked just fine. I've used Turbo Tax since the 90's and have never had a problem. It is very easy to use and well worth the price.

I'm an accountant and I used Turbo Tax for the first time this year. I have always just done my taxes by hand (I like the work). I did them by hand and then I used the software. I came out with the same end result. I have some friends that swear by Turbo Tax. I have checked their tax returns for them and they were correct too. I think Turbo Tax is great because it picks up the new deductions, credits, etc each tax year. You would have to be sure that you had the updated version each year.

We used TurboTax Last year and again this year. We used to use it every year from the 80's on (when it first came out in limited distribution) but skipped it a few years. We're back now, probably for the duration. I just wrote a $300 check to a tax atty for tax form prep for a trust that I am trustee for and that did the fed and state forms. I think I will NOT send it out next year but try to do it on TTAX since it has gotten really simple and I have a couple years of examples to follow.

Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"