Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Stupid Water Well

Re: Stupid Water Well

Been gone to Va to see grandkids for xmas. As far as this flow restrictor goes, is it installed before the pressure switch? I suppose there is instructions with it so..... No, I can't flush out the pipes because I don't have any water nearby. Wish I could. I'm going to repace the pipes and start fresh. Never had a problem before with over pumping the well. With so many people moving out to the country and installing wells, I guess that is a real possibility.Darn well used to be artesian, emphasis on 'used to'. The only thing I use this well for is to water the animals in a pasture that only has 12 angus cows that I keep separated from the rest of the herd.

Dick

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] The flow restrictor is usually the first fitting after the drop pipe comes out of the well cover and turns horizontal. Yes, it would want to be before the pressure switch. before the check valve, before everything. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Thanks CJ, I appreciate the quick response.

Dick

I've worked on a fair number of wells and there is no need for any type of flow control. I haven't seen one yet. And you never want anything that can clog between a submersible pump and its pressure switch. If the thing blocks up, you run the risk of substantial damage to the down the well plumbing; depending on the pump and what material is used. Also, IMO, this is one of those don't fix what's not broken thingies...

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This is EXACTLY why I try every way possible to NOT post to any threads on domestic water system problems. There is just no way a trained hydrodynamics engineer and former pump company owner like me can possibly out-figger the "experts" that are out there. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Well, I appreciate ALL the responses, and that's some good info you gave CJ. It sounds just like what I really need.

Dick

CJ, a bit of clarification on my part that hopefully will be helpful. He could have controlled the flow by installing a stop valve instead of probably using an open ended hose to fill the cattle's water tank. That wouldn't in any possible way cause another problem BUT, you have him installing a potentially blocked apparatus between the pump and its controlling pressure switch. IMO, that isn't a good thing, let alone in a well that you think is silting up.... That was after at least 2-3 suggestions to raise the pump had already been made while the pump and possibly the tubing had just been replaced meaning the ycould have added a few feet mistakenly and prior to that he never had a problem. Although he does say that the static water level had fallen over time. Lucky he's in TX where he probably has the line coming above grade instead of having him dig up the yard to get to a pitless below the frost line...

Not to mention the dirt filled line he dug up, which to me says maybe he has a broken line adding dirt to the water instead of a silting up well.

Additionally, any/all debate of my suggestions are welcome and if I may, I need to ask you to stop whipping me with your diploma, superior age and years of company ownership.. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

Pat,

My user name is combination of the desire to keep it simple and having spent to much time working in the old dos environment [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I did choose it to kind of honor my 20 year old buckskin quarter horse stallion.

Brian

Brian, Ambiguity cheerfully excused! I'm probably the only bozo who'd mistake it for quarter hours.

Now then... How about a couple pix of the horse posted to the pictures area?

I was INTO DOS when you had the choice of PCDOS as well as MSDOS. I also had TRSDOS (8 bit OS for Tandy box with 68K chip and Z-80 coprocessor to handle I/O but could be booted to run the box on just the Z-80 and TRSDOS instead of XENIX (Microsoft port of UNIX.) Ahh, and Heath DOS for the Heathkit computers and CP/M-80 for the 8080 and Z-80 chips. At one time I was using 7 different operating systems on a daily basis. Five at home plus VMS on a DEC VAX super mini and VMCMS on an IBM mainframe at grad school. Sometimes I'd go into "brain lock" and forget how to do something in a particular OS. LIke with rubout, kill, erase, rm, del, or whatever to delete a file, sheesh!

One time I was running a software emulation of the 8 bit CPM-80 OS on the VAX to be able to read and wright IBM 3740 format single side single density 8 inch floppy diskettes (held a giant 251KBytes)and fired up BASIC 80 to do a simple BASIC program as a test and couldn't remembert how to get out of BASIC (SYSTEM) and sat there with a super mini tied up acting like a brain dead 8080 box. Maybe I needed a few more command sets to remember and keep straight. This while taking classes in UNIX systems programing at lunch time via microwave broadcast and actually designing and programing in Pascal on the job while using only Ada in night school for masters project. THERE, I HAVE CONFESSED. Now you know a small part of what scrambled my brain.

Best to you,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I was using 7 different operating systems

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, that oughta scramble anyone's brain. One operating system is enough to confuse me. And I remember the "Trash80" computers. My first computer was when Radio Shack upgraded the color computer to 32k. It was hooked to a 13" color TV, a portable cassette recorder, and a printer with a roll of 4.5" wide paper and 4 different colored ink pens. I thought I really had a fine machine when I got a model IV TRS80 with a floppy disk, and later for only $300 got a reconditioned 5 meg external hard drive. It last nearly a year before it died. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]