Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Stupid Water Well

Re: Stupid Water Well

Bird, When pocket calculators first started coming out they were expensive so the Physics Department at San Diego State bought a bunch of them and afixed them to tables so they could be used but not borrowed. there was an equal number of TI (algebraic notation) and HP (reverse Polish notation.) All of the TI died before any of the HP did. Two competing theories: 1. HP was clearly more robust and 2. No one wanted to use the HP due to reverse Polish notation. By my observation #1 was way closer to the reality.

Before the breakup of the Soviet Union and we were still ready at a moments notice to NUKE one another, as a friendship gesture the US allowed 3 Soviet ships, two warships and an oiler to come into San Diego bay and tie up at North Island Naval Station. I was one of the many allowed aboard all three vessels (not below decks on the men of war but anywhere on the oiler.) We took trading materials along to barter with the Russian sailors. I tried various things but solar powered calculators worked well as barter items. Their young guys would have had big time problems getting batteries. I still have a package of Russian cigarettes that the tanker's radiio officer insisted I take after plying me with finger foods. Seems everyone was interested in the guided missle cruiser and the other warship so he didn't get much visitor traffic. He spoke passable English, much better than my poor Russian. They had a Finish Sauna on board and a small pool to jump in after the sauna (about a 6x6x8 ft tank.) Enclosed fire resistant Finish life boats too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Egon, My father-in-law, the rocket scientist at one point in his carreer was into precision azimuth allignment of balistic missles and had tables of signs and cosines to 50 places (US GOV Pubs) I tossed them years ago. He also had both base 10 and natural logs to similar precision. He worked directly with Werner Von Braun at the cape and did the missile allignment stuff at Redstone Arsenal at Huntsville, Alabama where my wife picked up a dash of southern belle in her voice.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Ohh - Those would have been fun to work with, exspecially if one had to extrapolate! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]