Thread: Injured Raccoon

Injured Raccoon

Hello all! This is my first post on this site. I've been lurking for a bit, and it's been really great looking at the site and all the good info.

I just moved out to the country, so have no real experience with wildlife. We just discovered a small raccoon hanging around the house. It doesn't seem frightened of us at all, although it hisses when we get too close. (See attached Picture)

It seems to have a injured front leg, and we were surprised to see it out in the daytime. My wife was reading up on raccoons and read about distemper, which has symptoms in raccoons, such as them being out in the daytime, and paralysis. Distemper sounds like a pretty nasty disease, and eventually fatal.

I'm concerned about my dog getting into a tangle with the raccoon, although my dog, which is sort of a southern coon-hound type dog, is terrified of the raccoon! My dog’s shots are all up to date, but I’d rather there not be an incident.

Suggestions? I've got a live animal trap of the right size, and could relocated the animal, or take it to animal control. Alternatively, if it truly is diseased, maybe the most humane thing is to put it out of its misery.

Re: Injured Raccoon

Any raccoon that is out here in the daytime, especially if he doesn't run when he sees me, is shot and buried. I can't take a chance on any entanglements.
    You will also find that most people frown on relocation, as the coon may become someone else's *problem*.
    If it makes you feel better, live trap him, but then call the health dept. and have him picked up for rabies testing.

Relocation is an option if there is somewhere to take the animal and not have it be near someone else and be a problem for them. I have lots of places nearby and across a decent sized river to relocate animals and have done so with 6 coons and a few possum.

Our coons have come out in the daytime to raid a sunflower seed dispensing bird feeder but do beat feet when approached (which is why they were not shot.

If the animal seems to be diseased the simplest thing would be to shoot and bury it but if your animal control folks are willing to be involved, trap it and give it to them.

There are alternative explanations... what if a previoius owner fed the coon and it is coming out to get fed. It is conceivable that the previous owner fed the coon without knowing it by leaving garbage, scraps or pet food out where the coon could raid it.

I have been in campgrounds/RV parks where coons were used to being around people in the daytime. Some of them get pretty aggressive and demanding of food. I had to slam a motorhome door in one's face to keep it from coming in. In general it is a BAD IDEA to encourage potentially dangerous wild animals (a coon can do you some real harm) to come around your house. There is just too great a risk of something going badly. If not now then when a friend's child is visiting and thinks the coon is a Disney character to be hugged.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks for the advice, folks. I hadn't thought about the possibility of the previous owner feeding the raccoon, although I think it unlikely, as this raccoon looked fairly small, and the house was vacant for almost 1/2 year before I purchased it. We didn't see the creature at all today, although it was cold and rainy, so perhaps it was holed up somewere.

The thing is so cute, that I'm afraid my daughter (12) would try to feed it against my orders.

I'll keep you all posted.

Andrew

I have worked with Coons in the past, many years ago, and the first warning I was given, was to always beware of a Coon that stands it's ground.

I was also 12 once [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] And if I saw any kind of wildlife, I wanted to hold it, and play with it... Be safe, and don't take any chances... Perhaps you could call your State Fish & Game Dept.
    Akita Moni Yo
    Go Forth In Gentleness