Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions....

Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions....

I would like any input from those that own chainsaw & band mills. I am leaning towards the Woodbug chainsaw mill from B.C. Canada. I guess i like the chainsaw idea better because it is a simpler operation. I will be milling my own Eastern Red Cedar trees into logs for a home. Most trees will be less than 20" in diameter as the finished log wll be square on 3 sides and approx 5"x6" and 10' long. I will also mill longer "beam" logs of other species, but the main work will be in the cedar.

I know some of the advantages and disadvantages of both mills, and am interested in "real world" application. I was going to post on the Forestry site, but they don't allow "free" em addresses? I appreciate this site and TBN for allowing us "rogues" to post [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .

Merry Christmas to everyone!

RD

Re: Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions....

A picture of a home built chaisaw mill/quide. Works well and can cut thin boards or make baulks of lumber.

Egon

Re: Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions.

There is another possibility to consider in place of a band mill, chainsaw mill, or circular saw type mill. I haven't found an entry level (read LIGHT DUTY) "STORE BOUGHT" band mill for less than $2500+shipping. If you forsee the need for a pretty HD band saw to use in your home building project then consider this... Buy a hd bandsaw and an accsesory to permit its use as a band mill. This costs more than the cheapest entry level band mill but you are also getting a professional grade bandsaw which can be really handy.

I have a 32 inch Husqvarna chainsaw on an Alaskan chainsaw mill. I still want a band mill but am toying with the idea of the HD band saw and an accessory to use it for ripping on logs.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Well guy's and gal's....i came across a Hud-son chainsaw mill on ebay that was half price of a new one and 1/3rd to 1/4 the price of the Woodbug, so i bought it. They are the same principal..a carriage with the saw bolted in it runs on a steel track over a dogged down log. Since i am cutting mostly soft wood, i hope that it works out. I think i will go for a new 90cc chainsaw because i don't want to fool around with a possibly un-reliable used saw(when i 'm ready to cut, i will want to cut...not fiddle [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] . When i get it set up i will post pic's though it will be sometime in early spring. Man i have visions of wood projects dancing in my head....oh wait ...Christmas is over.......lol!
    Egon- how do you lock that thing down so that it doesn't shift while cutting?
    Pat- Yep, a band will be nice, just didn't want to fork out that much $.
    RD

Screws into the log.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ok the next decision is gas or electric chainsaw for my mill.....Hmmm...more research!
    RD

MOTORSEVEN, Gas or electric chainsaw???? I have never seen an electric chainsaw with enough power to make a decent mill unless you have way toooooo much spare time on your hands or maybe are into long periods of meditation while leaning on the saw and waiting for something to happen.

I have had three electric chainsaws, the last of which is a small Remington. That is one aggressive lil thing for its size. It is fitted to a telescopic extension pole and is used for pruning limbs up to 10-12 inches in diameter. It is a real go getter for its size but like its electric fellows of my experience, it would not be considered for use in a mill.

I do have a 32 inch bar Husqvarna on an Alaskan mill. The engine is about the size of a small dirt bike. This works. Maybe Egon, one of our resident forestry folk with lots of personal experience could comment on an electric chainsaw used in a mill.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Uh -- I have a 20 year old $49.99 special drawing 7 amps and with a 9 inch bar for an electric saw. I would like a much better electric chain saw for yard use.

For a chainsaw mill the chances are the electric ones will be much to feeble to be of any use.

I think electric motors on bandsaw mills are not uncommon if the mill is pretty well stationary near a power supply.

As for knowledgeable advice please do not include me in that category. The cutting edge has long since been worn off and the remainder relegated to one of the lower drawers! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Its a Logosol made in "Svvvweeeden", but i em'd them and they don't think it can be fitted to a Hud-Son. The single phase E3000 is $1600, but without being able to "coon finger " the thing to see if i could make it fit, i guess i will have to go with a gas. I see that big Husqvarna's are lower in price than the Sthil. I have owned a Sthil for over 20 years, so i will have to do some homework on the Husky.
    Can't wait 'till spring!
    RD

Arggg...can't get the link for the Logosol from"My fav places" to drag onto this post. someday i gotta take a 'puter course [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]