Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions....

Re: Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions.

Here's your link.
    Ian M.
    Transferred to Nova Scotia, retired at the end of June 2009!!! And bought a tractor!!!

MotorSeven, About that computer course... Don't bother, computers are just a passing fad. Remember, you heard it here first! P.S. Pass it on!

I've been trying since 1983 to get that rumor started and really got on it in 1986 with no more success but hope springs eternal...

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

NSbound... Oh THAT electric chainsaw! I guess THAT saw way exceeds those of my and Egon's common experience by a good margin. I will probably never have one of those as I want to take the saw into the woods to fell and limb trees and then with, at most, a change of loop, mill the cant.

My experience with extension cords around just a pruning opearation is that they get all too quickly wrapped up in the felled limbs and begin to resemble an explosion in a spaghetti factory. When dropping a number of large limbs, with the Remington electric, I find it handy to have a smaller portable gas saw to clean up the large limbs and avoid the tangled cord syndrome. I have the 32 inch Husky to drop trees and handle large limbs then the little Mac Eager Beaver 16 for the smaller work. Too tiring to whittle with the Husky.

I bought the Husqvarna used on eBay, returned it as it was NOT as advertised and the sleaze operators (PARADISE PAWN in CA), after promising to refund my money instead returned the saw to me. I ripped them with eBay and they were dropped as sellers. Bid deal... It was a pyrrhic victory as I still had the saw and had to put it in the shop to get it running right. Ended up as a so so deal, not a total loss and not a super bargain. It still leaks bar oil (slowly) even when stored so I don't fill it up prior to setting it on the shelf. I have no complaints as to the saws operation and believe the big Husky is equivalent to comparably sized Stihl with no big difference in performance. I only wish it had a PTO so I could power a big tired mini-bike to get around the woods easier.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Those are some hefty looking electric chain saws.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Please tell me that in addition to computers, CELL phones are also a fad....heck i could do without paved roads also(but your talking about a whole 'nuther thread). Ahhh, for the simplier times(or am i just a simple man? [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

RD

Re: Chainsaw or Band Mill....need advise/opinions....

please could you tell me if you got any where with your request for a saw mill, I have some mills for sale, you can contact me for further infirmation and pictures at davy@uilleann.wanadoo.co.uk.
    cheers
    davy