Thread: Feeding the deer??

Feeding the deer??

Snow shall be deep soon in cold weather regions,and the northeast corner states once again are saying don't feed the deer.

I for one do feed the deer thru there long winter search for food,for seeing a deer strave to death etc.. truely cruel.

Yes I have read the facts about feeding deer from Fish & Game,but I firmly feel common sense should be factor when feeding deer..don't over feed & watch the depth of snow & discontuine feeding when warmer early spring time temps arrive & don't let the deer become depended on feedings.

State of Vermont has new law which bans feeding deer starting 06...one oral warning,second time one can be fine as much thousand dollars.

Like to hear your comments.

Re: Feeding the deer??

In the past I have fed during periods of cold or deep snow. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
    Here in Nova Scotia I feed all summer long wether I wish to or not! [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

By the sounds the deer have found a good thing there egon. [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Here is a typical mixed message from the Illinois State Government. It is illegal in Illinois to feed deer. Every year the State of Illinois gives me free seed for food plots for wildlife. I may just be dense, but what is the difference between putting out food in a feeder and putting out food in a food plot?

Thomas:

For a while. There is this fence that I've been building for four years now?? [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Procrastination!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Sir you have good point.
    I see no differents,for it doesn't matter what time of the year the purpose the same.

Maybe the state fears..like NH..when the deer herd up during the winter and travel to ones human feeding station,couple of herds might mingle which may transport disease among the whitetails.

NH has quite positive attitude about food plots..no funding from NH what so ever.

There is a difference between food plots and direct feeding. Deer browse on food plots nipping a little of each plant, then moving on. Direct feeding in one place concentrates pathogens from feces increasing the chances chronic wasting disease, since the deer will repeatedly come to the food. They may not return to the same spot in the food plot for some time. We feed corn and alfalfa, but spend the time to distribute it in different areas. We now spread more in wooded areas, leaving the fields to recover and clean themselves. Walking through the fields, there are so many droppings, I may not have to fertilize in the spring.

Thank you for your imput Sir.
    How do you feel about store bought deer gain pellets??

I've try over the counter corn w/oats & plain corn,but notice the deer like Blue Seal deer pellets the most.

I don't have enough spare land for good size plot feeding or other crops. [img]/forums/images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Pellets are nutritional and a better food than say corn, which has much sugar in it and little else. Pellets are expensive compared to corn. We use corn for an attractant and alfalfa cubes for nutrition. Baled alfalfa is fine but it seems only the leaf matter is eaten and the stems are not. Cubes are made from the whole plant and are more efficient and easier to feed. A fifty pound bag costs around $11 and lasts me about 2 weeks as we disperse it with the corn by hand. It is time consuming but it is how we avoid areas with abundant feces. The recommended method in planting food plots is to plant narrow strips rather than large areas. Also plant as close to cover as possible, especially for bucks which are not prone to venturing out during the daylight hours unless it is the breeding season.