Thread: Water Resolution!!

Water Resolution!!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] I'm going on record with an early New Year's Resolution that THIS is the year that I get our farm water well up and running! This is the classic case of the electrician's porch light being the one that doesn't work. After owning two different water well and pump service businesses for twenty-plus years, my own well isn't pumping! [img]/forums/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] We have what they call "rural water" piped in for drinking and domestic use, but that well would be nice to have for landscape watering and for washing tractors. It hasn't run in years and I suspect that the impellers are rusted to the bowls, so all it needs is to be "round tripped" and probably cleaned up a little. It's a shallow setting, maybe forty feet and it's a sub. My main excuse is that I want to make some changes and get rid of this clay-block structure that is on top of the well and go to a drive-over manhole arrangement. So far that project hasn't worked it's way up to the top of the list. I did finally get new wiring all set up and when I threw the switch, the pump only grunted a little and would not turn. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Now that I have resolved to do this project, I'm not exactly sure where to GET a manhole? [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Water Resolution!!

Any welding shop should be able to make you the cover, you could even have a custom design drawn on with an arc rod.

As far as the concrete ring to set it on, look for a concrete culvert supplier and contact them regarding the cylinder that you can buy in the ground over the well head ( I think this is what you mean ) and put that new custom designed cover on it..

=)

I know what you mean about the bootmakers children going barefoot, I do computer programming here at work, but my machine at home is a mess. It works and does what I need but I can't be bothered to pay attention to it the way I have to at work.

Hey, I resemble that remark!!

Who is behind in backups, defragging the disk, cleaning up and optimizing...

The computer scientist of course.

I have so many not quite uninstalled pieces of junk floating around it is a wonder this obsolete brand x box boots. Actually would you believe the only visible brand mark on the tower is Byte & Floppy ? It is named after a store in San Diego who among other things assembled 'puters and may be out of business by now.

Regarding the "person" hole cover. The supply houses who sell the large sized concrete drain pipe and such also sell stuff to install vertically and has the lip designed for holding a cover.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Looking down into the well, it appears to be just that, a concrete pipe section....a big one......and the sub hangs from the drop pipe which enters the top joint. What I would do is use a: "pitless adapter" on which to hang the pump, and then the PA can be threaded onto the existing pipe that enters the well. A pitless adapter uses the weight of the pump to seal the connection, and it has a angled surface that you can drop into or pull out of. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

CJDave,

I am wondering about surface water entering your manhole system. Would you be installing a drain out to daylight? If the manhole sat above grade then that would also help.

Jim

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] That was also one of my considerations, and I was thinking that I might have to make a setup where the actual well head was below the manhole and was sealed off in the conventional fashion. We used to do this quite often when the water well was in the driveway of rural residences. One of the guys on my "little rig" crew was deathly afraid of spiders and you can imagine what is under a manhole cover. Of course the "little rig" always got the domestic pump work so it was a big joke around the yard that we had another 'spider job' to go on and Ray would just grimace. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave