Thread: Potato long term storage

Potato long term storage

Just planning ahead, and trying to figure out the best way to store potatoes to overwinter.

I am in the process of renovating a 100 year old root cellar. Got it clean, and the leaks stopped unless we get another "Noah" type rain. So that should be a start.

Now how do I get next years potatoes stored most effectivly?

Googled it and got all kinds of conflicting stories as well as a lot of high-tech stuff. How did grandpa do it?

Adron
    You can have it good, quick or cheap. Pick 2.

Re: Potato long term storage

Dark, dry and cool. The best temperature would be about 39 degrees. You also do not want to store any damaged potatoes as they will spoil the potatoes around them.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    How did grandpa do it?

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was a kid, Dad built a framework of 2 x 4s on edge "decked?" with hardware clothe; i.e., a metal screen. The potatoes were placed on that, in a root cellar, and lime was sprinkled over them. I remember doing it and going to get potatoes when Mother needed them, but I don't remember just how long they lasted.

One farm family I lived with stored their potatoes in a root cellar in bins of vermiculite. It seemed to keep the potatoes in good shape through the winter, and it was fun to dig around in the fluffy vermiculite to find them--a kind of treasure hunt.

--Lesley