Thread: Looking for free plans

Looking for free plans

We recently got some new equipment at work. It was shipped from Germany in a crate that is 10' x 16' x 4' tall. The height was ruined getting it opened (I don't think there is a nail left in Germany). But that is OK. There were two crates. I was lucky enough to get one of the floors of the crates and about 30 - 4" x 4" x 10' sticks of lumber. I want to build a small shed with it. I have been to the sights listed on a previous post and didn't see a 10' x 16' shed in the list of free plans. I could just throw it together, but figured if there was a place that had detailed free plans, then why not check them out.

If any of you know of a website with some free plans, I sure would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bryan

Re: Looking for free plans

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] This reminds me of a pair of brothers who farmed next door to us in the late forties and early fifties. Both brothers were Lieutenants in the army in WWII, and were very "surplus aware" so they farmed with mostly army surplus stuff. They got an IH T-9 dozer.....that's a gasoline version of the famous TD-9.....army surplus and it came in a crate on a railroad car. They carefully uncrated it RIGHT ON THE FLATCAR, and took everything home. They used that crate as a tractor shed for the T-9 for YEARS. Their motto was: "If we can't get it army surplus, we don't need it!" [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img] Needless to say, for a kid like me, going to their place was like going to Disneyland, looking at all their neat army stuff. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Yeah, I know I am a vulture flying high above the carcus of that crate. But, there is a lot of wood in the floor of the crate and the 4x4s I got. I just couldn't let our Maintenance guys destroy it. Most of the time, they take it for themselves. None of them wanted it this time. So.........

But I am excited about building a little shed out of it. I think it will look pretty nice.

Bryan

A "garden" shed that measures 8 X 16 with one set of doors sells for 1200 dollars around here. They use either a "saltbox" type roof or a midwest barn type.
    CJDave

Bryan, I used to work for RJ Reynolds and we got a lot of machinery from Germany. My job was to unload the crates from the truck and uncrate, and deliver the machines to the proper place. All they wanted was the stuff uncrated and I could do whatever I wanted with the crates. We had some come in in a crate that was 13' long x 9' wide x 8 ' high that had 4 6" X6" timbers running the whole length. I took th bottom skid apart and took the side and end panels home whole. The 6x6s I took to a local pressure treatment plant for treating and then planted them. I used the sides of 2 crates to make the 26' Length and ens of 2 to make the 18' width. All I had to buy for a 18 x26' barn wat the roof framing, and the metal roofing. It came out quite well and only cost a few bucks. The moral of this story is i guess you need to look long and hard at the sumber you have and build whatever you can with the lumber given. Come to think of it, this doesn't help you at all, does it? Oh well come on over to Lexington and we will have a cup of coffee while we study it over, Later, Nat

then planted them

Now there is a novel thought! How fast do the sheds grow? At what size will they be mature?

He-He [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

How fast do the sheds grow?

That's a pretty good one. I guess the way I am building my shed it will grow pretty slow. However, I will probably speed it up a little by buying the wood I don't have yet.

The 6x6s I took to a local pressure treatment plant for treating and then planted them.

I never heard of that Nat. I wonder if there is a place like that around Lincolnton? Is it just a lumber yard that does that or is it a place that does the treatment?

I just might have to drop in on you one day to check out your masterpiece. It sounds great.

Bryan

Pretty quick Egon. I'll tell you one though. I built a shed that had fresh cut black Locust poles that sprouted leaves the first spring after I built the shed. I showed it to my dad and he said that locust fence post do that all the time.
    Bryon I took them to Sherwood Treating in Winston. They are out of business now, but I'm sure there is somewhere around Mooresville that does it, And there was a place in Wilksboro that did creosote fence post. I know there is no creosote anymore but I think they do Wolminizing (sp) still. Later, Nat

Poplar posts will do the same thing Nat! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon

Yeah, but what can you do with popolar posts?
    When I was a kid we cut and sold popolar block, as we called them to a company in Yadkinville to make chair rounds, shovel and hoe handles. They said that air dried second growth popolar was the strongest tensil strength wood in the south. Coarse I was a kid and may have believed anything, still do sometimes, Later, Nat