Thread: Building a barn

Building a barn

Hello All, Happy new year. I'm new to this forum. I'm about to build a barn. Just a simple 36 x 48 western style barn with the intention to convert the loft into living area later. I have never built a barn before. I welcome suggestions, do's and don'ts. One thing I know is to put in all the windows now. What else should I put in now to avoid more work later? I want to take advantage of passive solar so all the windows faces south. Only a few small windows on the north side. No windows on the west side.

Another question: I'm building in the sierra foothills of central CA. This area is very high risk of wild fire. How do I make the structure fire proof? Thanks for you help.

Re: Building a barn

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] You could do like my cousin did when he built his home up in Del Puerto Canyon; two-foot thick walls of concrete and a steel roof. He KNOWS that if there is a brush fire that nothing could save him except fireproof materials, so......... [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Building a barn

I agree with CJDave, if fire is a concern in your area then you want concrete and steel construction.

I would vote for the concrete block method and then either a concrete over mesh style roof or metal roof.