Thread: Water rust smell and orange staines

Water rust smell and orange staines

New well, tried bleach and soap. The pipe seems to be putting rust into the water, no color but a rust smell and taste. Driller said to try clorine for a few days. Said that pipes have a coating that comes off and then the pipe can rust. Any ideas, I have also flushed the system a few times.
    I have 6 acres in Colorado and plan on raising some butcher cows for meat and have a few horses

Re: Water rust smell and orange staines

Your problems with the well are not unusual. However, what were you told about how using soap? How was it applied and what kind did you use?

It sounds like you have iron or iron bacteria in your water. But, the first thing to do is to get an accurate water analysis from a reputable company or lab. Until one knows what you are dealing with, it is hard to make a responsible recommendation on an accurate means of correction.

Besides a test for water esthetics (color, odor, taste, hardness, etc.), I would also get a test for micro-organisms. This would be done by a registered lab or a county health board. They will be looking for pathogens as opposed to non-pathological organisms such as iron bacteria. Make sure all chlorine and soaps are out of the well.

Please give us as much information as possible.

Thanks
    Andy

Re: Water rust smell and orange staines

It sounds as if you have a new well using your old plumbing. If so, it's normal to have sediment break loose from inside the old pipe but, you have clear water if I'm understanding what you said.

You need an iron test done on the water. Sears will do iron, hardness and pH or any water treatment dealer or lab can. You should check in your toilet tanks to see if you have any evidence of IRB or SRB. That is iron or sulfate reducing bacteria. They are non-harmful to animals and humans but can make water 'bad' with odor and taste and rust staining.

Gary
    Quality Water Associates

It seems that the problem is most likely attributable to a high level of iron in the water. I would recommend just purchasing some Britta water filters and attaching them to your sink faucets just to be safe. Or to be more safe, just ask the help of your local plumber.
    My online plumbing.

I have the same problem and I am actually in the market for a whole home water filter. The insides of my appliances are stained orange (shower, dishwasher, washing machine, etc) and I am concerned about the safety of our water. I have a Pur filter on my kitchen sink, but I still won't use that water for anything other than washing dishes and watering plants. I think I found the filter I want, but I still need to find a company to do the water test.

Iron might be a good guess here, but what are you flushing it out with? Has it changed at all since you started to do this?

We also have a rust problem with our well and tank, and have a water softener installed so it is the first off the well. I understand it is the bladder in the well system that is going, and we will be looking at a very costly repair. Funny thing is where we live we also have a great deal of limestone. Before the area got built up, you could drink the water right from the tap. It was the most delicious water I ever had. Now it is a whole new story.