Thread: Concrete counter tops etc.

Concrete counter tops etc.

I am thinking about making some concrete counter tops or shelves or benches.
    The library has provided a few books on the topic and the web has many articles.

Anyone out there who has tried making some of these items out of concrete. I am exspecially interested in colouring.

Thanks.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Re: Concrete counter tops etc.

I've seen it done on "This Old House" a while back. Looks to me like it could easily get out of hand. Also saw an article in "Fine Homebuilding" a few years back.

IIRC, they just mixed the color agent into the concrete before pourng. They also mentioned an acid wash as another way to color.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Thanks Gary. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have read the article in Fine Home Building three or four different times. Copy from the library.

Think the colour i'm trying to get to is basically white with red marbling. I have some red dye that goes into the concrete mix.

Egon, for marbling, the stain has to go on after the pour. I have mixed concrete several different times for a special effect around pools, and coloring concrete isn't rocket science, just pick up some coloring agent at any home builders supply. Now the tricky part is marbling or color highlights. I have seen plain old wood stain rubbed on, and the effects are very good. Staining concrete is a try it and see if you like it process, if you use concrete stain which is a dry powder applied after the pour.
    If I were doing something like a counter top, I believe I wood use some wiped on wood stain, and then after drying apply a concrete sealer. I have seen it done and it looks good after it's finished. HTH, Nat

I would purchase this book, all of the usual places have it, including Home Depot.

Concrete Countertops: Design, Form, and Finishes for the New Kitchen and Bath
    by Fu-Tung Cheng, Eric Olsen ; Paperback

A good friend of mine has done several of these. His kitchen counter tops look GREAT... I fell in love with them. He's even made patio table tops and print rinsing table for a photographer buddy of his.

The book is very good, the only really special tool needed is a wet-grinder to get the surface smooth and shiney.

Good luck.

-dave

Egon, I have designed picnic tables and benches that you cast with reuseable forms. My experience coloring concrete was that I wanted the color all the way through so that heavy wear and scratches couldn't show through so I bought colorant and dumped it in the mixer. I was making a patio using molds in the shape of running bond brick style and wanted the bricks a red brick color. Then used uncolored mortar in the recessed joints. Worked super.

My sis-in-law had her driveway and sidewalk top coated, colored and stamped and it looked realy terrific for a couple years. They used the "sprinkle it on top method." It didn't hold up as well as I would want.

I was at a resturant in OKC that had a spectacular stamped and colored floor, truly magnificient except for about a 10 ft diameter flaw that had developed where it went to s--t and sort of spoiled the effect.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks all for the replies. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Now to stop procastination and start some experimental 12" x 12" x 2" slabs. I've had the melamine sitting in the basement for several mounts now!

Egon

Egon, Although 2 inch will make a decent test, I recommend thicker for the real thing even though there is a significant weight penalty requiring one of your QUALITY structures to hold it up. I haven't had the opportunity to do A-B comparisons but think some of the concrete formulations that give the greatest flexibility might be a good hedge against cracking. Some of the published authors seem to skimp a bit on steel too.

I had some wild thoughts about making some workbench tops out of concrete. I also considered toping with hardwood for traditional look and feel but with big savings in costs over a massive all wood top.

Maybe you could practice while making a workbench...

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Pat:

At present I'm only intersested in technique, no strutural stuff invoved. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Hi egon, that sounds like a great idea. I don't have much experience with concrete, except watching the pros do it with ease [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] But I was thinking I would like to build a bar / table for the patio out of concrete. Maybe do the top a different color, something like that. Maybe make a custom area for the grill to fit in. Anyway, there's a lot of interesting stuff out there dealing with coloring concrete, stains, etc. I might do like you mentioned and build a bunch of 12"x12" samples to play with. I can always use them someplace [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.