Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: another year of locking horns with nieghbor..

Re: another year of locking horns with nieghbor..

for real! thats my plan use every nook and cranney. we got 7 mules and just recently got highland cattle.. i got 100 pine trees in buckets waiting to plant on other side of her for small xmas tree farm... she has two dogs and a green house on that peice of land..she has been notifed many times thur the court to move or loose it ,.. i have pics of every thing ive done from begining to completion.. one thing ive learned over the years is to document and keep a log book ! i have 62 acers and i am gonna use it all .. plus you never know what i may come home with from the market! LOL gonna hit the ground running this weekend got a fence crew lined up.. Rose [img]/forums/images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

<font color="blue"> one thing ive learned over the years is to document and keep a log book ! </font color>

Oh, how many times I've recommended that to people! Most don't listen. It's powerful medicine in a dispute, whether with a neighbor or in a job setting. Takes it out of the "he said, she said" category quite effectively.

LOG BOOK

Some recommendatons:

1. Use a "BOUND" (stiched) notebook that comes with numbered pages, not spiral bound or loose leaf binder. Available at various office supply stores or especially college book stores.

2. Make entries in ink.

3. Never erase anything no matter how flawed. Never cross out anything such that it can't be easily read. Instead, draw a single horizontal line through it so it can still be read. Initial and date the line-out.

4. Annotate all entries with date or date and time.

5. Stick to the facts, reserve emotional comments for your friends and family (or us, your e-friends.) Consider that anything you write may be read later by a judge in a court of law and you want to come across as a steady reasonable sort.

For example: Include quotes from your neighbor's comments but avoid commenting on them. No ad hominems!

The above suggestions make your notes much more valuable should they ever be needed in court. These actions will head off any claims about your having "cooked the books" as regards your notes. It could be helpful to include pictures. Give date and time of the pictures, from where taken, and any other pertinent details.

If any officials have made any comments you might want to quote or paraphrase them in your notebook, listing time and place where the comment was made. It is unlikely you will get an official to sign your transcription in your book but it is fine if they will. (Officials tend to be a tad shy when asked to autograph their comments.)

You may be selective as regards your entries but make sure anything you do record is factual and true to the best of your ability. It doesn't take many flaws to devalue the entire content of your logbook in the eyes of judges and the like.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Excellent, Pat.

I forget, tell me again why you don't put up a fence?

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

pat, thanks for advice i have pictures of every thing i do and what has been done{when they drove thru my field over and over} i try to keep "just the facts"in my book. and i do date and quote , i never thought about numbered pages, good point! pick one today and start a new one.. { big thanks on that} hopefully i wont ever need it. now that she knows im not just bark'en up a tree LOL
    fence..we bought this land last year, got one side fenced in. we will be building fence this year on other side and on the proptery line. i have been waiting on the USDA contracts to come back so that we can cost share the project. hopefully this week they will be here. the land was a reclaimed stripe mine in 70's. that section of land is nothing but a big slab of rock w/ a little dirt. we have to borrow a big pull behind jack hammer to make the post holes. even for T post.. we brush hoged off the field last weekend grass had seeded but weeds hadn't yet.. {just knocked off the tops} so proud we have real grass growing not brush !!! ill try to post a pic of the field. thanks again for helping me Rose [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]