Thread: Sliding barn door?

Sliding barn door?

I am in the process of building my 28'x32'x9' shop. I am planning on using a sliding door, which will be 10' wide by 8' high.

I've seen a few slide tracks for sale on the internet, not sure of the measuements of the brackets holding the track to the shop.

The attached image shows the door opening. How do I frame out the ruff opening, as far as sealing out rain/wind? If the track is suppose to be installed on the lower 2x6, above the opening, do I need to add another 2x6 below this one for the door to butt up against?

Any suggestion?

Re: Sliding barn door?

zbadone, The only sliders I ever built were 4x8 ft (but very heavy) and hung with Stanley hardware. The particular decorative look I required had me attaching a 4x4 to the outside of the header and hanging the door from that. I attached the track so that the door just cleared the shed walls when sliding. I placed a rubbing strake at the bottom of the door. I used a piece of flat bar bent like a sled runner. This slid on the concrete block stem/foundation and prevented the door bottom from swinging in and letting the door drag on the shed wall and mess it up.

If cosmetic considerations don't conflict I would hang the track from the header and then place a fixed plank horizontal to make a weather cover for the gap at the top of the door where it hangs below the track. Another suggestion is to through bolt the hanging hardware, i.e. the track. After a time, lag screws may loosen and cause a problem,especially when the fasteners are in tension rather than shear.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"