Thread: Figs?

Figs?

Just bought some small fig trees. I live in SW Mississippi. Any ideas on where best to plant them. Some say they should be planted on the south side of wind break but in full sun??

Re: Figs?

I would think that your county agricultural extension agent would be the best source of information for your area. My granddad had fig bushes in southern Oklahoma that produced well and were only in the sun about half the day. And my dad had them just north of Dallas that were in the sun less than half a day. However, one in Dallas and some bushes 60 miles south of Dallas that did very well were out in the open in full sun all the time.

I`m also in South Mississippi, Pearl River County. If possible place them in full sun with a wind break to the north. They still do ok without the wind break if a place is`nt available.The hard freezes just knock the tips back a little.

Administrator

We had fig trees in Arizona back in the late 1960s in Tucson, AZ.

I didn't know much about gardening then. But those fig trees sure did very, very well in AZ sun.

So I imagine that full sun in the South should be okay. But do check with your Extension agent. They'll help a lot.

I just remember the fig tree in the back yard, tall .. at least 20-30 feet. And it produced so many, many figs that it just rained them down. You couldn't possibly eat them all.

You might want to "feed" the trees when they get near to bearing age. Probably just some 10-10-10 or something like that.
    Hakim Chishti
    Staff/Moderator