Thread: Looks like winter

Looks like winter

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] We are getting some snow today here in SE Iowa. We have had such an "open" winter that we have been doing all sorts of outside jobs. Yesterday it was 53 and downright balmy; then about seven PM the temperature dropped like a rock. I'm concerned that we are so short of stored water in the soil profile. Last July we absolutely cooked and every vegetative thing pushed it's roots deep down to scavenge what little water was left in the root zone. We haven't had many serious rains to replenish the UG water, and definitely can't survive another short rainfall year like last year. We'll be taking the corn crop to town in a five-gallon bucket if we don't get some serious rain before it's time to plant. Of course we could always have a year like 2001, when it rained all through April and washed everything down the creek. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Re: Looks like winter

We're in the most severe drought in about 50 years, and the temperature was up to 70 today. The newspaper had a story today about the foundation repair companies having more business than they've had in a long time, because if you don't water around these slab foundations, they tend to settle, crack, etc. We'd settle for any kind of precipitation; snow or rain.

Re: Looks like winter

We have had mostly upper 50s and 60s here in NC for the better part of the winter. I have only brought out my thick coat a few times. I mean I am not complaining or anything. But I am of the opinion that if it is not going to snow a little, then I would just rather have it in the 60s and 70s.

I am sure old man winter will eventually make an appearance.

Bryan