Thread: Install a septic system

Install a septic system

Hello all, I need to install a septic system. I know nothing about septic systems? What should I get? Type? brand? Size? Plastic? Concrete? Anything particular I should know before calling contractors to get bids? Thanks for you help.

Re: Install a septic system

Yuor profile doesn't show us wher you live so the info given won't help most places, but for what it's worth here in NC you will have to have a 1000 gal concrete tank and at least 1200 sq ft of line. If you use conventional gravel that will equate to 400 ft in length and 3 ft wide. That is if you have a 2 br house. A three br will require more. Most places in the country will require the county health dept. to come out and site the location and give you the requirements. I know this isn't the same as the rest of the country, but will work if in central NC. HTH, later, Nat

I'm not sure any of us can help you much without knowing where you live, what the laws are, etc. Here are the rules in Denton County, TX. I know some other counties have similar rules, but the fees vary. Your area may, or may not, have something similar, but if I were you, I'd start by contacting the county to see what's required. Of course, just a phone call to any installers listed in the phone book should get you some basic information as to where to start.

The question asked is similar to how high is up and how long is a roll of string. There are two related but different parts to the question you meant to ask. One is what is required to meet the legal requirements and the other is what should you want to install (within the law.)

www.Amazon.com has books on the topic of septic systems. I bought an excellent one named something like, "The Owner's Guide to Septic Systems" or something similar sounding. I learned a lot from it. The legal minimum installation may not be the best installation for you. I ended up with a 500 gal septic tank overflowing into a 20 gal or so holding tank with an automatic pump that pumps the output up a hill to a leach field built with "Infiltrator" brand modules with no gravel or ground up tires. This serves my walkout basement.

The rest of the house including the laundry, and the other 4 bathrooms is served by a 1000 gal tank feeding that same leach field. The Infiltrator system has a terrific surge capacity and was a good choice for me. Get a good book and read it so you know a little about the systems available. Then you won't be as likely to just take the first thing someone suggests is right for you (because it is easy for them or makes a profit or...)

It is easy to find out what the minimum required ssytem is in your area. Call a couple contractors and compare what they say. The truth is out there (to quote agent Molder.)

Best of luck to you. Should you choose to reveal just a little more info like where your system is to be installed, maybe someone could offer specific assistance.

I'm in south central Oklahoma but the Infiltrator system is legal lots of places.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

This is in Mariposa county, Calif. Near Yosemite. I'll try to figure out how to update my profile to show where I'm. I'm hoping someone can point me to the right direction in putting together a specification so I can get a few contractors to bid on. I'm sure there are differences in septic system design between now and 30 years ago. I want something that's low maintenace and proven effective. Not some new gismo the contractor/sales guy trying to push.

Yes, there are differences in septic system design, but I don't think anyone can design one, or recommend any particular design, until you have a report on how well the soil "percolates", or whether it "percolates".