Thread: What to do with 11 acres

What to do with 11 acres

We live on 11 acres with a 36x60 pole barn build last year. Our neighbor farms our land for us but we would like to have some sort of small business of our own. I work two days a week outside of the home. I am not afraid of hard work and love to be outside. We would like some sort of crop or animal operation. (no butchering) I would prefer to work with livestock. Any suggestion? Thank You [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Re: What to do with 11 acres

Perhaps make a survey of your local area to see what may be marketable for produce or livestock as conditions vary considerably as to area. You must also asscess your personal marketing skills.

Also think of time factor as livestock may require daily care. 11 acres may be small for livestock requireing the purchase of feed which really effects the profit margin for time invested.

One suggestion may be a market garden that has the produce presold to individuals.

Also check with the local Government Farm agencies for advice.

Egon

ppb, Depending on the productivity of your land you might not be able to keep even one cow-calf pair... or at most a very few without intensive supplemental feeding instead of grazing. This places all of your eggs in one basket so to speak. If there were a demand for goats that would allow higher herd numbers and level out your opeeration some. Not as much universal demand for goats but you might have a nearby ethnic population of sufficient size to warrant a goat operation. Check your local area for a live pig market. Pigs might sell well and again animal numbers would be greater than with beef so as to distribute your risk.

Slaughtering increases your profitability as you have more value added but egg ranching might work for you if there is a ready market for farm fresh eggs as opposed to "factory" eggs. To wring a profit out of an egg ranch you will need a ready market for "layed out" hens. You will have to ruthlessly cull hens whose production falls below quota and if you won't slaughter them, then what? You will have to find a market for them or likely not have a chance to make a decent profit.

There are cash crops that will turn a good profit on 11 acres but you may not be inclined to run afoul of the DEA. If there are population centers with the right demographics conveniently close to your land then maybe you can do OK selling produce. You need to do some market research to determine what crops woiuld give ou the best profit.

I helped a friend who leased 2500 acres put in some high dollar crops to help bootstrap his operation. Pearl onions were first and then cucumbers both with guaranteed in advance per lug prices in the field. His main crop later was Jerusalem artichokes for the specialty grocers and as a feedstock for alcohol for gasohol blending.

"LITTLE" or baby vegies are a good high dollar item if you have the appropriate markets. Baby corn, baby carots, etc.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks for the input

A few more details
    We have spoken to our local extension agent when friends of ours approached us with the idea of organic goat milk farm. But after talking with the agent, we decided against it. Our local agent gave us a lot of info, but told us we need to find our passion.

Some other ideas we have had or suggested to us:
    sheep for wool
    alpacas for fiber
    miniture donkeys for pets
    dog park
    raising heifers

Right now we have a holstein heifer which is our son's 4H project, 2 bunnies and 5 cats. Unfortunately, we recently had to put our 14 yr old dog to sleep. I like being home for my family and two days of work outside the home is enough for me. I am the one who would be doing most of the work since my husband has a good/reliable job. Maybe it is unrealistic to think that I could even make a few thousand dollars a year to suppliment our income. Sorry if I am rambling. I would appreciate any other comments. Thank You

ppb, How rural are you? I have seen folks near population centers, especially bedroom communities for larger cities were everyone has a nice sized yard but not really enough space for a decent garden. So... someone with plenty of space for multiple gardens, leases out gardening space.

Is there good cover for a decent paintball firefight? If yes maybe you cold cater to those folks.

Animal training. Use the space for training hunting or stock working dogs. Start by providing space to other trainers until you learn enough to handle part of the training yourself.

Archery training/shooting area. Set up a good walk through range with 3D targets.

I gotta go but there are lots of other ways to utilize your property to turn a buck. Find something that works for you and your area.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

You could always have a decent size garden and create your own produce stand. I don't know what if any permits you would have to get. But there are some people I pass by to and from work that have their own little stand. One built a stand and one runs it out of the back of his truck. Both said they wanted to earn a little extra money and they both like to talk with people.

Bryan

<font color="blue"> Some other ideas we have had or suggested to us:
    sheep for wool
    alpacas for fiber
    miniture donkeys for pets
    dog park
    raising heifers
    </font color>

One thing I learned (the hard way) a long time ago - don't buy into ANYTHING until you have thoroughly researched the MARKET for the product or service. It doesn't matter how wonderful YOU think it is - the only thing that matters is how many people are willing to pay how much, and what will it take (time &amp; money) to get them to buy it from YOU.

Thank You all very much.
    My husband and I have a lot more research to do.
    Thank You again! [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Meat Goats, Thats what I'd do If you want livestock that will make you some money.