Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: water well

water well

I had a new water well dug about 2 months ago 290 feet. I finally had the pump running the other day and the water was a little dirty and had a slight smell to it . Will this go away or should I be concerened? [img]/forums/images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

Re: water well

It may go away but the only way to test is to pump a significant volume of water out of it. If after a few thousand gal and it is not clearing much, THEN BE CONCERNED. Still after pumping quite a lot of water from it, pull a sample in a sterile container and have it tested. Turbidity (cloudyness) is not neccessarily a show stopper as filters for turbidity are not all that expensive. If you need one, buy a BIG one as in the long run it will be less hassle and will be cheaper than changing little ones all the time.

Good luck,

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    "I'm not from your planet, monkey boy!"

Thanks for the help .Where can I have the water tested and what should I be looking for?

Duane, Your county extension agent should be able to advise you regarding good reliable folks to do the water tests. Who is favored varies from region to region. Often it is a state or state liscensed agency. Generally you follow their instructions to take the samples yourself. There are home test kits and I am not against them but feel you want a professional rigorous test to start with and additional tests between thorough tests may be in order for DIY to monitor any specific areas of concern. What to test for? Nowadays the list is HUGE due to all the polution and potential contaminants.

The good news is that there are various filters that can remove just about anything and make the water safe. I personally like RO units (reverse osmosis) for drinking and cooking water (ice makers and fridge water dispensers have filters but... RO is better there too.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[quote.....well dug about 2 months ago....the water was a little dirty and had a slight smell to it . Will this go away or should I be concerened?

[/ QUOTE ]

We had a hard-rock well dug in August. It was absolutely wonderful having our own water, but I was appalled at the cloudiness and it tasted... well, sort of 'oily'. But this is only a temporary condition. The cloudiness was due to the granite 'dust' that hadn't flushed out yet, and it went away first. The funny taste took about a month and a half to 2 months to go away (we only used the water on weekends when we camped). According to the well diggers, it's due to the new pipes and the harmless pipe compound.

Now, it's absolutely the sweetest water I've ever tasted!

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] When I was in the deep well pump business, we had a yard full of big 8", 10", and 12" pump column pipe with the ends open and who-knows-what-sort of critters running through it; not to mention wind-blown dust and dirt. We would load it onto a trailer, hook onto it with big clamps and slap lots of home-made pipe thread "dope" on each thread after washing the threads with solvent. We handled it with greasy gloves and spun it into the threaded couplings with a grease and dirt impregnated 1-1/2" manila rope. When we got all the pipe "in the hole" we added the pump head and used plenty of "dope" on every fitting and every bolt. Landowners who would NOT THINK of drinking from a dirty water glass couldn't WAIT to get a drink of that water with whatever was handy....sometimes their own dirty hands...as soon as we got the engine started and the water poured out of that big discharge pipe. Go figure! [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]
    CJDave

lliefveld, Did you have the water tested. How about for arsenic? Some arsenic compounds taste really sweet.

[img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Pat [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Well, yeah, it IS poison, but doesn't arsenic give you nice rosy cheeks? Isn't that worth SOMETHING. [img]/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif[/img]
    CJDave

ISTM that arsenic is a natually occuring item in wells in some parts of the country - in very minute quantities of course. Somewhere I saw that you could get more arsenic from the well water than by chewing on the treated lumber in school play yards.

Harry K

The well water will reflect the mineral composition of the resevoir or surface contaminates that can be fed into the resevoir.

In one place in Texas there is Lithium in the well water. It's presence has beneficial medical overtones.

In some places sweet water is considered water that is not alkaline.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]