Thread: Coleman Generator problem

Coleman Generator problem

I have a coleman generator 6250, It is only about 5-6 months old. It will start no problem, I let it warm up for about 5-10 min, Then slowly load it up. But when it gets a larger load(still within its limits) it starts to hunt and won't stop until I choke it off a little, then it catches itself and runs normal.
    I been told maybe Carb problems.
    Any suggestions out there
    Thanks
    CBCaper

Re: Coleman Generator problem

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] It sounds like a sticky governor linkage. The air flap....or whatever that particular engine uses as it's governor. Check to be sure that the air flap or the flyball shaft is completely free.....not binding. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

Checked the governor linkage and it all works well. Its almost like its not getting enough gas when a large load appears.

CBCaper

[img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img] Make sure that the bolts that hold the carb onto the head are nice and tight. Vacuum leaks can masquerade as a lot of other symptoms. [img]/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
    CJDave

What do you mean by it starts to hunt? Does it dress in camouflage and go sit in the wooods? ( Just kidding, I couldn't resist. ) The rpm's kind of surge up and down?

If putting a bit of choke in helps it run at a stable rpm, then it sounds like a fuel delivery issue to me. Any chance the fuel filter, tank, line, float bowl, something has an obstruction in it? I'm assuming this is one of the newer non adjustable carburetors that doesn't have a needle you can adjust how much fuel is being passed at higher rpms...

What is the air temperature? If you are running it in colder weather, it will need more fuel. I would back the main needle out a little bit. If after the adjustment, it starts and runs fine, call it good. You can also check your AC voltage with a meter to make sure it is in the correct RPM range. Most of the new stuff runs lean to meet the EPA emissions requirements. You may have restrictors on the needles to limit the amount of adjustment.

Otherwise, is it new enough to be repaired under warranty?

Gary

No, It doesn't sit in the woods to hunt ,But I almost through it in the woods(hehe)

You are right about the adjustments(none) I was told that they drill the jet out a little larger Dia. to recieve more gas. The climate up here is cold and damp in the winter. Do you think this is something that might work. I checked the hold down bolts for the carb. and they are tight.

CBCaper

If there is a sping on the governor lever to throttle control you may try adjusting the tension +/- ???

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I have a 10KW coleman and had the same symptoms from the day I got it. At first I was sure is wasn't getting enough fuel at high loads the way the power output and RPM would cycle up and down under load. So I took it in for warrenty work. Places #1 and #2 adjusted the idle and sent me home. Still wasn't working well. So I took it into place #3, he adjusted the governer, and now it runs great.