Thread: The Trailer

The Trailer

We got Jake's bachelor pad (travel trailer) set up and leveled about twenty yards from the house yesterday. Got it clean and ready to live in. Fred and I were around the back lighting the hot water heater when Squee the cat and Mooch the pup came wandering out of the brush to the rear of the trailer. The cat was walking like he was on stilts, stepping high like he didn't want to put his feet down in the weeds. Mooch was walking like she had done something bad -- slinking -- head hung low, looking like she was in trouble ... or scared. Then we heard it ... a startlingly loud rattle.

At first it didn't register. Fred and I were talking and I just noticed the two animals out of the corner of my eye. Then it happened again ...

"ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch"

"Did you hear that?" I asked Fred.

"Sounded like a rattler." Fred said, craning his neck to look over his shoulder at the brush.

"A big one!" I amended and stood up abruptly, smacking my head on the window canopy, which prompted some seriously dirty words.

"ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch"

"Where is it?" Fred grabbed the shovel and headed toward the brush. "That makes my skin crawl. I have to kill it if I can find it."

We both envisioned Jake walking back and forth from the trailer in the dark, not paying any particular attention to where he was putting his feet.

"ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch-ch"

Our immediate neighbors swore up and down when we first moved in that there were no rattlers out here, even though we saw and heard them. They were some serious beer drinkers, though -- three case a weekend-ers -- every weekend. I'm not sure they would have known if there were dinosaurs out here.

My heart was racing. The sound of the rattle put it about six yards away. Fred was like a thing possessed, whacking at the weeds with that shovel. Jake showed up with an armload of his clothes and we told him what we'd heard.

"Where'd you hear it?" He ditched the clothes and grabbed a four foot length of 2 X 4.

"Just stay away from there Jake. The cat and the dog spooked it I think, it's probably long gone by now. I imagine it was laying there sunning and they came up on it. It probably took off to find a less busy spot." I said.

"I have to kill it if I can." Jake repeated Fred's words almost verbatim. Like father like son.

They never did find it, but we didn't hear any more warnings from the snake so I think he went on to a quieter place. I'm like the guys though, the thought of this big snake anywhere near the house makes my skin crawl too.

Re: The Trailer

The Snake went away!!

Probably climbed into the trailer and is inspecting the walls!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Probably crawled in that hole in the heating duct. Remember, the one the cat popped out of last year. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Ya'll are horrible!

The upside is, as long as he has those rattles and is dumb enough to use them, I'll have some warning. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] Hopefully.

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

Well Cindi, welcome back to good old Florida...let's review...huricanes, tornados, aligaotrs, water mocasons and now rattle snakes. Well, I'll take the snow in good old upstate New York!!! And this year we've hardly had any snow!!! [img]/forums/images/icons/smirk.gif[/img]
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

Probably also crawls out at night to find a nice warm spot to sleep. Like at the foot of the bed.

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Rich, don't I know it.It rained for two days straight last week and I said, "Yep, I'm home all right

Egon ... you have a mean streak. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon ... you have a mean streak.

Omigosh, and here I thought it was just reality. Sleep well tonight.! [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

The cat or the dog always seem to think my feet make a perfect sleeping spot. Some years ago when I worked night shift I'd sleep on the balcony in the afternoon. Always woke up with a cat curled up on my chest.

Twisted sense of humour??

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

I'm teasing you of course. Just know that none of your scenarios are 'news' to me ... I have considered them all. And then some. [img]/forums/images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]