Thread: Sweet Corn Seed

Sweet Corn Seed

Hey Guys:

I was curious as to any sources you guys may have forbulk sweet corn seed. I'm looking to plant about 2-3 acres of corn, and obviously, it would take a bunch of little packets to get me enough seeds to work with. [img]/forums/images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I stopped by my local elevator, but they weren't terribly helpful, and actually said they were only ordering dent/field corn this year as they have little demand for sweet corn.

Hence, I've been trying to find a source for sweet corn online, but haven't found any that sell in larger bulk. Anybody have any sources they'd like to share?

Thanks,
    Jay

Re: Sweet Corn Seed

I get the majority of my seed from this place.

JORDAN SEED

Another source, little bit more money.

MOUNTAIN VALLEY

Another.

MAIN STREET

If you need more, let me know. Of these three I have only used Jordan, just have the others for reference.

I have also used www.buntonseed.com out of Kentucky. They have good prices on bulk vegetable seeds.

I believe merit sweet corn seed was goin for about 5.99 a lb. last year. Most every feed and seed store around here carries bulk seeds. What kind of corn do you want to plant? yellow or white? Merit is my favorite ( a yelow corn ) but if you like white, Silver Queen is a good one.

Try Southern States. They package their seeds in 1 lb and lower bags it seems, so if you don't have a feed and seed near you, they should be able to mail to you. I planted Silver Queen last week, and it went for near $8 a lb. It took 8 lbs to plant a solid acre. I was using a 10 hole plate on my planter that spaced the rows probably 4 ft apart. Row placement was as close as possible with the planter and tractor, but the plate put the individual plants nice and close.