Thread: propane gases

propane gases

I just looked at the side of the propane cylinders that I use for my camp stove and noticed that there's a warning on them saying that the contents and the burning of the contents create a carcinogen. I'm not too worried about the cylinders, because I'm outdoors. But if I have a propane stove, propane dryer, etc., I'm concerned about the potential toxicity. Yet I haven't heard or read any warnings about that for homes. Does anyone have any specific info one way or the other?

Re: propane gases

I'm not sure I understand that warning. Everything I've ever read or been taught is that neither natural gas nor LPG is toxic. By entering "LPG toxicity" at Google, I did find where some company submitted a letter wanting to do some testing for the EPA, but don't know whether they ever did it. As far as being a carcinogen . . . I don't know; never heard that before and I'm sure not worried about it myself.

Parker County, Texas and Santa Fe County, NM

Re: propane gases

Nothing that burns is very good to breathe, either the unburned product or the byproducts of combustion. But Propane is sealed in pressure containers, and all of your indoor appliances should be vented to the outside, so I don't see the worry. A lot of rural folks have used Propane for a long time (including me), but I don't believe their rate of cancer occurence is any higher than anyone elses. I would bet it's lower if anything, due to being away from city pollution and stress.