Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chicken questions

Re: Chicken questions

Surely can not answere the question on brown versus white eggs but if you ask about yoke colour I sure know what I like. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Egon [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Anyone see the repeat of "Dirty Jobs" on Discovery Channel last night? Mike was at the McMurry Hatchery learning how to sex chicks.
    Gary
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hey! Aren't you supposed to be working?

Cambridge, New York in beautiful Washington County, next to Vermont

The only difference between white and brown eggs (other than the color) is that the shells of brown eggs are thicker, so are harder to break, and hold up better to rough handling. Nutritionally, they're exactly the same.
    Rich
    "What a long strange trip it's been."

My father wholesaled eggs from Kansas farms to Kansas City and to New York. In New York they can't sell a white egg, and in Kansas City they can't sell a brown one. There are certainly regional differences in the appearance that is favored, not the flavor. Eggs from chickens who can scratch the dirt, eat a bug and green grass have deep yellow orange yolks, where cage layed eggs typically have a light lemon colored yolks. The major difference is fresh eggs eaten the week they are layed taste better than those in the store that spend several weeks in storage before getting to your table.

I forgot to add that their is a nutritional difference between a cage layed egg, and a free range chicken egg. The cage layed egg has higher cholesterol than the eggs of a free range chicken.

I got into chickens 2 years ago. I bought a book called "Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens". It has a lot of good basic info. However, the single best resource I've found for chicken info is at this website http://pub228.ezboard.com/bbackyardchickens
    Those members are very friendly & knowledgeable, just like here, but focused on every aspect of chickens from coop design, to predator prevention, to different breeds, just everything. Anytime I've had questions, I've gotten multiple replies quickly. Personally, I would recommend Barred Rocks & Golden Comets. Thats what I have & they are both known as cold tolerant & good brown egg layers. However, there are many breeds that will fit your needs. I have a total of 11 hens now & consistently get 5-8 eggs per day without using added lights at all. My local feed store will order me hens when they order their spring chicks too. That helps me get around the 25 chick minimum. One thing I've learned is people like to talk about their chickens, so you won't have any problem getting info. Definitely read the many pages on coop building BEFORE you build. There are a lot of little things that make chicken raising easier, such as having access to eggs w/out going inside. Sorry such a long reply, but I like to talk about chickens too. [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

Ever thought of Auracanas, they lay colored eggs. various shades of blue,green, and pink. They are called the easter egg layers and the eggs are supposed to be lower in cholesterol. My choice would be Buff Orpinton or Black Australorp for brown eggs but I like setters too. As far as pure egg production I'd have to go with Sex Links. The young pullets are gonna lay some very large, double yoked eggs regardless of the variety. After eating the brown eggs and especially after cooking a few cakes with them you'll not want any more white eggs from the grocery store. The Australorps and Buffs are very tame easy natured chickens, even the roosters. The picture is my layig house and run, run being constructed out of dog wire to keep out varmints. One of the few snows weve had in several winters.

I ordered the Storey's book from McMurray's and finished reading it today. A lot of information in there for a beginner. Also signed up at Backyard Chickens the other day. A friend told me there is a feed store not to far from me where I could order chicks, not sure what/where they order from. I work at a college that has a small farm, chickens/sheep/oxen. The farm manager said he might be odering some this spring so I could put my order in with his. I'll have to check the Discovery Channel and try to catch that show. Think they rerun them fairly often. Think it would be interesting.
    Thank you all for the information.
    Kioti CK30
    19 chickens

Just about any hatchery I've heard of has a wide variety of choices. I would just talk to whichever one you are more comfortable w/ & find out where they order. Chances are the hatchery they order from will have a website & you can see what they offer. My local feed store starts ordering a few weeks before Easter. I guess thats a popular Easter present. They had a special where you bought a bag of feed & 6 assorted chicks free. Thats how I got started, but I don't recomend that, cuz you can't choose the sex. That was the first lesson learned. Too many roosters will wear the feathers off the hens. I'll tell you now, build the coop as big as you can now. Those chickens are addictive. You will probably want more after you get started. Also, you might want to hatch your own at some point. Its nice to have room to block off a corner for a broody hen to set eggs for you. I've raised day olds in my garage & let a hen raise some. Its a lot easier if the hen raises them. She regulates temperature & protects them from other chickens. Good luck.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    we moved to Baltimore when dad took a job at the Social Security Administration,

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this is off-topic, and I apologize for it, but I couldn't help but be struck by this..... my dad worked for the Social Security Administration in Baltimore also... I think it was around 1938 +/- 3-4 years.