Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Chicken questions

Re: Chicken questions

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Eggs from chickens who can scratch the dirt, eat a bug and green grass

[/ QUOTE ]

Does the flavor of chicken meat differ depending on what they eat? A friend of mine said he bought some free-range chicken meat at the store and it tasted 'funny' to him.

Re: Chicken questions

That is a coincidence. My Dad worked there from late 1940 to sometime in 1943. Being Oklahoma country folks, they did not like living in an apartment in Baltimore.

Now I don't know exactly what happened, but Dad always joked about "civil service" jobs and requirements. He said he took a civil service exam applying for a job as a poultry inspector and they offered him a job in the Social Security Administration.

He also said that they told him when the temperature hit 90, they closed the office and sent everyone home. He said that seemed silly to him since he'd worked in the fields on the farm when it was over 110. But he said they quickly learned about the difference in humidity. With no air-conditioning, when it hit 90 everyone just looked for a place to sit in the grass in the park in the shade until sundown.

And even in those days, a lot of city folks knew absolutely nothing about farm life. Mother says she mentioned to a neighbor about milking the cow and giving me the warm milk straight from the cow, and the neighbor said, "You mean you gave that baby milk before they put the cream in it?"